Farmall H engine smokes on startup, fouls spark plugs

Johnnypopper

I have a 1941 Farmall H. When I start it up cold it will put out blue smoke as the engine warms up. It does not produce any visible smoke after it has been running for a few minutes. Oil consumption does not seem to be a problem at all as I can work it for hours and never have to add any oil. I do have a problem with the spark plugs being fouled and they must be cleaned or replaced way too often. Could this be related to the lead substitute I add to the fuel? Or is it a valve guide problem? I am thinking about taking it apart to replace all of the gaskets that are leaking and I am undecided whether I should pull the head and have the valves and valve guides repaired if necessary. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

If it has decent power and is not using any oil to speak of go up a couple of heat ranges on the plugs. Also change the oil and go to 30 weight low ash oil.

Maybe it's just running too rich? Another slight possibility is it might help if the timing is adjusted one way or the other before you go through major repair work.

Valve guides or seals are wore and allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber in minor quantity. Oil use not much but oil will always tend to foul plugs & give blue smoke as it goes right into the combustion chamber.

The blue smoke at first start indicates worn valve guides.That alone wont cause plug fouling.Black smoke is running too rich. tighten the load screw some.Just idleing/poopin' around the yard can cause fouling if the engine diesnt get suffiently warm.Are you useing the wrong plug? Try changeing brands,or a different number.Lead substitute is snake oil.Worthless. A waste of money. You dont need it. Stop useing it.

very easy to check the guides on the tractor. remove valve cover , get each cyl on TDC on compression then try and wiggle the valve stem. if you have wiggle you have worn guides and that means you are WAY over spec, and that is good part of your problem. also idle engine then rev it up and it will let a puff of blue smoke out of exhaust. also check the COMPRESSION at the same time. THEN if needed tear it down. post what you find. also just running around doing chores dont help as this makes plugs foul also because engine never gets hot.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my note. I will let you know how I make out. The current plan is to work on it in the spring between snow removal duties and first cutting. I have a small operation and this is my main tractor. I am happy to be a part of this forum. I do not post a lot but I read TractorTalk almost daily.

I like to reference the ih recommendations

cvphoto59404.jpg

cvphoto59405.jpg

cvphoto59406.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back