Farmall with a Narrow Front

Did IH make a factory made Farmall A with a narrow front?? Or did people take the wide front off and put a narrow front?
Won't a Farmall A with a narrow front tip over very easily?

NO A was made with a narrow front end from the factory but I own a BA which the front half is a B and the back an A. As for flipping over it is not the tractor but the person who operates it that makes it flip. I built the BA more then 10 years ago and never had any problem with it trying to flip over side ways. But I did have to add front weights to keep the front end down when going up a steep hill

Hello Mike, I am talking about a farmall A with a narrow front end. I have two farmall A's with a narrow front end in my local area.....the one I seen tonight has a narrow front like a farmall B and the rear end is a Farmall A but the rear end is missing the cast iron rim on the outside wheel for weight.
It also says farmall B on the hood and I was unable to find the serial number plate and model number.

Its probably a B farmall that they removed the left hand axel and axel tube. It is NOT a BN they have a 4 inch shorter axel tube on both sides.

With all the interchangeability of parts from A to B's and BN's. The fact that most are 3/4 of a century old. Add in the fact that farmers will do just about anything in a pinch to make something work finding something 100% original might be a problem.

Says the guy who has a BN with a used Chevy alternator and two compact spare tires on the front! Oh and the hood has a "B" decal where the "BN" should be because when I rebuilt the tractor decades ago I could not find a set with the "BN" decal!

As a joke, when I swapped a motor off an A to a B, I set the narrow front up to look like it was on the A...... Personal opinion, it looked a little tippy!! Lots of opinions on here..... Maybe look at tractor data, check out A , B and BN. The BN is more like a B than an A , not easy to confuse those two

(quoted from post at 21:13:07 08/01/22) Hello Mike, I am talking about a farmall A with a narrow front end. I have two farmall A's with a narrow front end in my local area.....the one I seen tonight has a narrow front like a farmall B and the rear end is a Farmall A but the rear end is missing the cast iron rim on the outside wheel for weight.
It also says farmall B on the hood and I was unable to find the serial number plate and model number.

What particular detail made you think it was an A?

Hint: It has NOTHING to do with the position of the seat. A's and B's have the seat offset to the right of the engine.

Hint #2: Look at the left rear wheel. On an A the left rear wheel is tucked tight against the side of the tractor. On a B it is extended out the same amount as the right wheel is.

(quoted from post at 08:13:02 08/02/22) Never had any problem with my BA trying to tip over but I do have duals on the narrow side which may help

May help? It definitely helps. It puts the left wheel out about as far as it would be on a BN.

Don't you have a sickle mower on this tractor too?

If your trying tot talk to me yes it has a sickle bar mower on it. The sickle bar mower is the reason I built the tractor from junk tractors. I got in am A that was in pieces due to hitting a tree and the block was broken at both the front and back mount areas. I also had a B with a locked up engine

That would be a B that has the left wheel modified with a final drive from an A. It will bolt right up and look like an A with a narrow front. I think you could change out the front bolster of an A replacing it with a bolster from a B or BN, but why would anyone do that?

I have a wide front end Farmall A, but the plate under the seat says B.

Hard tellin.

WC

This post was edited by Woodscustom on 08/04/2022 at 05:09 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back