Ferguson TO-35 stuck in 1rst Gear

baydog1

Hello. I bought a TO-35 and it seems to be stuck in first gear. Tractor has been sitting in a barn for at least 10 or more years. Haven't tried to start it yet. The High-Low range will shift into neutral. The motor does rotate but just won't pop out of gear. Any ideals what to try or do next? Should I try to take the top of the trans. apart?
Thank you

Remove the large oil fill plug and use a long tool and see if the gears will move forward or backward, with the Hi Lo Start lever in the center start position. There may not be anything wrong but this can happen when someone try's shifting too fast.

Hello. I bought a TO-35 and it seems to be stuck in first gear. Tractor has been sitting in a barn for at least 10 or more years. Haven't tried to start it yet. The High-Low range will shift into neutral. The motor does rotate but just won't pop out of gear. Any ideals what to try or do next? Should I try to take the top of the trans. apart?
Thank you
This used to happen on my MF202. Do as dieseltech said and remove that big add oil plug and try putting a large screw driver in the hole and prying on one of the gears. You know when you get it right because your gearshift will again be in neutral and will move side to side. This happened on my MF202 because I would get in a hurry and try to shift too fast. I take it easy when I shift it now and it hasn't done it again in a couple years. It's very easy to fix.

Awesome. Got the shifter to move but it's still stiff... Where can I get a grab on the engine to rotate the engine? The front has a big flathead screwdriver slot instead of a bolt head. Remove starter?
Thanks

It will shift and was able to find neutral and put in reverse, now stuck in reverse. Needs some go juice on it somewhere. Got the engine to spin some but now it won't turn. Got dark but couldn't find a way to rotate engine manually.

Hi. I took spark plugs out and high range and 3rd gear. I tried rocking but engine didn't want to seem to turn while staring at the fan. The engine did rotate some. I was going to try and turn it in the opposite direction to get some lube in there and hopefully get engine to move again but can find any place to help turn motor

It will shift and was able to find neutral and put in reverse, now stuck in reverse. Needs some go juice on it somewhere. Got the engine to spin some but now it won't turn. Got dark but couldn't find a way to rotate engine manually.
Your shift rails are probably rusty and needs to be lubed up. Ron MN

The engine has been sitting up a long time. I tried turning it with a battery and it turned about a have turn and stopped. I was trying to back the engine up and work it back and fourth with oil in spark plug holes to loosen it up. Thats why I need to rotate engine by hand back and fourth.

Thank you
Yes, remove the transmission cover,free up the shifting rails...note pics of MF 35 Transmission..6 speed no multi power.. Pics of broken top cover is the aftermath of a tractor when the owner started it up after being abandoned for several years,and probably with no experience(and or a service manual) with the Ferguson lift mechanism.

Attachments

• DSCN9763.JPG
    DSCN9763.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCN9763 (2).JPG
    DSCN9763 (2).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN9673.JPG
    DSCN9673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • a258689.jpg
    a258689.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 21
  • a258690.jpg
    a258690.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0054.JPG
    DSCN0054.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
It's a little painful but I just don't see any other place to manually turn engine besides the flywheel teeth. Thanks

The shift rails gotta be rusted up. When I get in neutral it works free side to side but when I try to put it in gear it's very stiff and hard to shift

Got the shifter working slick but now the engine won't turn. I rotated the engine just a little when I bought it to make sure it wasn't stuck by pushing on the belt and grabbing the fan blade and was able to turn engine just enough to see it would rotate. Brought it home and hooked a good battery to it. It turned about a half of turn slow then just stopped. Took the starter off and tried to get a good pinch on one of the fly wheel teeth but can't get much of anything in there to be able to wedge a bar in to try and turn. So I went for broke and with all the spark plugs out I pulled it with another tractor and ease clutch out but would just drag the wheels. If i could get a good grip on the crank to maybe rotate it backwards to the place it was before I rotated it to the stuck spot. Then maybe work it back and fourth to free it up but nope. Now it is stuck.
???????

Got the shifter working slick but now the engine won't turn. I rotated the engine just a little when I bought it to make sure it wasn't stuck by pushing on the belt and grabbing the fan blade and was able to turn engine just enough to see it would rotate. Brought it home and hooked a good battery to it. It turned about a half of turn slow then just stopped. Took the starter off and tried to get a good pinch on one of the fly wheel teeth but can't get much of anything in there to be able to wedge a bar in to try and turn. So I went for broke and with all the spark plugs out I pulled it with another tractor and ease clutch out but would just drag the wheels. If i could get a good grip on the crank to maybe rotate it backwards to the place it was before I rotated it to the stuck spot. Then maybe work it back and fourth to free it up but nope. Now it is stuck.
???????
Take a look at the bottom of the bell housing at 6 O'clock.../ part of the transmission.
Is there an inspection plate? If so remove plate,with a flash lite view the internals of the clutch area.

Attachments

• DSCN0113.JPG
    DSCN0113.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
one method for stuck engine. block one rear wheel in both directions, jack up opposite rear wheel, place in high gear and rock raised wheel back and forth using slack in gear train for movement. the jarring will some times break them loose.

sorry no clutch inspection plate. That would be great. Lots of tractors have clutch inspection plates but lucky me this one don't. At the bottom of the tractor 6 o'clock there is a flat 1/4" thick and about 6 or 8" square that seems real close to the flywheel. Looks like I might be able to get to a tooth on the flywheel ???

If I put the tractor in a high forward gear and rock tractor backwards would it turn engine backwards?
Thanks

Remove the large oil fill plug and use a long tool and see if the gears will move forward or backward, with the Hi Lo Start lever in the center start position. There may not be anything wrong but this can happen when someone try's shifting too fast.
Yeh happened to me when I was about 13 years old plowing with to-35. I went to shift gears but when I let out on the clutch tractor went backwards. I thought, man I am in trouble now. When my uncle came back he kind of almost chuckled. It does that now and then it’s stuck in two gears. We went to the field where he removed he transmission fill plug and then fiddled with the gears with a long screwdriver. All of the sudden he’s like it’ll be fine now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back