Fianlly got my Grand Father's tractor bought!!!

JD Seller

I finally got my maternal Grand Father's tractor,a Ferguson TO30, bought back. A cousin talked my Grand Mother out of it in 1976 and let it set outside ever since then. He finally hit rock bottom. He was going to be foreclosed on. He had always said he would never sell it to me. I guess setting out on the curb was a worse idea than selling to to me. LOL

I gave way too much for it. He told me it had good tires and had been overhauled 3-4 years ago. Plus the Ferguson rear mounted cultivator that it came with. Well when my son went to get it both back tires were flat. They do have good tread but weather cracks clear to the cords and both rims rusted out. Engine is not locked but the starter will not turn it over. The cultivator is NOT the one that came with it. My Grand Father's was a rigid shank and this one has the spring tooth shanks on it. I also think it is a Dearborn not a Ferguson cultivator. The rigid shanks are worth $400-500 and the spring shanks one $100-200. So I know he switched it out.

I had my oldest son go and pick it up for me. I knew if I went there would be blood involved. LOL It is on my trailer in the shed. I will try and get it into the shop in the next few days. Raining and windy today here so I am not fooling with it right now.

This will be a total rebuild. Tear it down to the castings and start reassembling. New paint, overhaul everything and tires/rims. I know going in I will have more in it that it ever will be worth. I would guess 7-10 times it's resale value. I do not care. I now own both of my Grand Father's tractors. They will never sell as long as I am alive. I will bet they will never sell as long as any of my Grand kids are alive either. They all know the family history too.

The two Grand sons that are 11 and 12 are bugging me already to "help" with the rebuild. They where out in the shed "driving" it on the trailer this afternoon. LOL It will be a good project for us to do. Simple tractor for them to learn on.

This tractor means more to me than any of the others. It is the first tractor I ever drove. It is the last tractor my Grand father ever owned. I had thought it was the only one he owned but I was wrong. My Mother came out this afternoon and told me the entire story of this tractor. He had owned a Ford 8N and he disliked it. So he traded it in on the TO30. She says she thinks it is a 1952 model and he traded for it in 1953 or 54. I will have to check the serial number and get some pictures.

Just glad it is finally under roof. Amazingly the sheet metal is still in good condition. I would have thought the fenders would have been rusted out at the bottoms but they seem to be solid.

Way to go!! I have my Grandfathers 41 John Deere B along with all the implements he bought new with it.

Congratulations again. Wish I had my Grandfather's. People spend money on what they want to, when you spend it on that, it's still there.

My brother has a TO20 he uses for brush hogging around the barnyard, orchard and a few other spots. I should think the TO30 would be the same scale. It?s easy to get on/off, nimble and starts right-up. One year my MF50 diesel blew a head gasket and I used it with my New Holland 68 to finish baling hay, no issues. Lot of TO20?s, TO30?s and TO/MF 35?s around here - handy tractors.
cvphoto43357.jpg

Glad to hear that you got it. Now you have a good winter project.Take some pictures for us and you can show ?before ? and ?after ?.

Congratulations. Sounds like you have relatives like I do. There's relatives and then there's family. My dad had two tractors he really liked. The first and foremost was his 4010 which is sitting in my shed right now. The second was a 730 diesel that he traded off and regretted the rest of his life. I always wanted to find it but don't even have a serial number to go on.

My mother in law got her dads to 30 a few years back and I completely went thru it. Here's a pick of my youngest and her great grandpas tractor after the rebuild. I need to find the before pic.
cvphoto43359.jpg

does it have sentimental value to your mother? Sad that some unsuccessful people have so much hate in them. I truly believe that hate keeps some people from making progress.

Good going. Yes relations can be a total pain in the a........ I have a couple myself. Little better than thieves.

moonlite37: My Mother really does not have any attachment to it. She was already married and living over by my Fraternal Grand Father's farm by the time her father got this tractor. He still had horses when she was still at home. She has spent more time on the JD 4010 that my Fraternal Grand Father owned. He owned several JD two cylinders before the JD 4010 but she did not like them so she stuck to livestock chores if she could. LOL

Good Job! I wish I had got hold of grandfather's 9N years ago, It's the only one I ever saw with a dash cable operated overdrive as all others I've seen use a side lever. The tractors I play with I consider "therapy toys", always have something to tinker on since I'm not a drinker or sports nut.

That's great! Glad you got it back. I have the last tractor my grandfather owed a 63 Ford 4000. I don't plan on it going anywhere while I'm still alive. I wish you were closer as I have one of the Ferguson grill guards for those tractors that un pinned and tilted forward so you could raise the hood. If I had a way to get it to you you could have it.

Good to hear!

I had a TO-30 for a while, but the only sentimental attachment was my own. Still miss it 30+ years later. However, I had to make a choice between the Fergy and my Pasquali 986. Dang, that's a hard decision!

Looking forward to seeing progress updates on the rebuild.

FLOLDFORD: This one has the front guard/hitch that is just a lower bar that allows the hood to tilt over it. The full guard like yours is a better at protecting the grille.

cvphoto43363.jpg

Mom & dad bought their place in 1976. With it came a TO-20. I was 15 and that was dad?s first tractor and the first I learned to drive. When we bought our own place, I found a TO-20 too. Have spent many hours on those Fergusons. They both still run like tops. Good luck with yours.

1957 , Dad bought a 35 Deluxe, it was the 1st tractor I raked and cultivated and disced with around age 10 . but i was on it piking up hay a few years before that. My very 1st tractor drive was a SC Case around age 5 guiding between the bales piking up. Man ,Was I ready to Grow Up THEN ,,. LOL... I often wonder when I see a 35 Deluxe at auction if it is Dads , but dont notice any battle scars

Congratulations on getting a family tractor back!!! I am lucky enough to have my Grandpa's last tractor, 51 8N and the only tractor that my dad bought brand new, 63 4000 ford. Lots of sentimental value in both and I know they aren't going anywhere as long as I'm still breathing either!!

I know how you feel about it, I have my Grand Fathers only tractor he ever owned, an Oliver super 77, still grinding feed and running feed conveyor, he went from horses to that tractor and had it 16 years before he passed away. I also have my Dads JD 2520 and one Uncles JD 50, all bought new and all one family tractors, planted oats 3 weeks ago with the 2520.

Dieseltech, I have my Dad's 1940 9N with one of the cable operated overdrives like you mention. It goes in the right side of the transmission instead of the left like the lever ones. Don't have any idea who made it but it sure seems to run down the road way faster then Grandpa's 1946 2N with the Sherman overdrive. BT

My dad had the first tractor in our family, an 8N Ford, because he was the first farmer. It was the only tractor he had. Don't really know why, but I never developed a sentimental attachment to it. Maybe because not long after I started running it I went to work for a neighbor with an AC D14 and Oliver 550 diesel, which were much more capable tractors. In fact, I bought an Oliver 550D in the mid '70's, and it is the one that I will never sell. I've said on here a few times "The Oliver 550 is what an 8N wants to be when it grows up."

After the boss saw me running around on my b, he tried getting his dad's JD a bought. Thought he had it, but the owner's family decided they're going to restore it someday.

It's been sitting outside for years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back