Finished getting the Wheat crop in today!

Steven f/AZ

Arrived in ND on the 14th and started running the 8630 and air seeder about 5 that night. Been pushing pretty hard to get done and I put in about 1400 acres since I got here. A couple of fairly long days and I got 180 acres in one day. Most days were around 120 to 150 acres.

This is in SW ND...

Today we had the ground covered with pea sized hail while I was finishing up in the last field! I think it got up into the mid 40's, and was miserable and windy all day.

Anyway, some pictures:

seeding3.jpg

seeding4.jpg

More pictures here:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/smgussey/farming08/

And some videos on my YouTube account:
http://youtube.com/user/smgussey

Steven, great pictures. Any rain yet ? I talked to the FSA office in Hettinger a couple of days ago and they said everything was dry and brown, real dry.

(quoted from post at 20:12:52 04/23/08) Steven, great pictures. Any rain yet ? I talked to the FSA office in Hettinger a couple of days ago and they said everything was dry and brown, real dry.

No rain yet, possibly tonight and tomorrow. Red flag warnings every day due to high winds, low humidity, and extremely dry conditions. I think nearly half of the counties in ND have a burn ban in effect currently.

Hettinger is south of us, and they are usually even drier than we are...

We just keep hoping and praying for rain.

according to the radar from the national weather service, its well north of the state line, should be getting to reeder anytime, It stopped raining a bit ago, but radar shows more coming in, Ill keep an eye it for ya!

(quoted from post at 20:31:08 04/23/08) Just got off the phone with mom. No rain in Reeder, do you know if it made it to the state line?
poke here for radar
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=udx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

(quoted from post at 04:09:18 04/24/08) Everywhere I look, guys are recropping back into spring wheat around this area.

Allan

I suppose when it went up to around $24 per bushel that motivated people... now it's around $10 with futures around $9... Still a lot better than the $2 wheat I remember selling before I moved away.

Really foggy this morning, but no measurable precip overnight. :(

OK now that you are done up there come over here and run a tractor.

Our planting season is getting shorter every day and no one has moved yet cause of the wetness.

When it drys out the roar of the tractors will be heard all nite long.

Gary

No crop seeded in my part of Manitoba yet. Will start soon. We seed with equipment similar to what you show and mostly directly into stubble.

Detroit Lakes, MN. It has rained all day today and we had a thunder storm last night. Tommorrow it is supposed to snow again :( It just never dries up here!

(quoted from post at 04:55:53 04/24/08) OK now that you are done up there come over here and run a tractor.

Our planting season is getting shorter every day and no one has moved yet cause of the wetness.

When it drys out the roar of the tractors will be heard all nite long.

Gary

My labor charge is $1 per acre... and I need to get at least $500 per week after taxes to make the mortgage payment, LOL.

Nah, I've got enough grunt work in for a while now. I'm ready to go back to thinking and talking to teach kids... and actually I've got plenty of landscaping to do at the house if I feel short of grunt work.

Only seven weeks and I'll be back at the farm getting the haying equipment ready...

PS - STILL NO RAIN OR SNOW!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back