Firearm Repair Tool

Billy NY

Here's a good one, I obtained a Marlin 783 .22WMR, for $50, kind of a basket case, seems some people don't know how to maintain firearms, action gummed up, won't feed or extract.... hmmmm ok so we completely disassemble, breech bolt included, feed throat is buggered up a bit, you can tell it was not extracting, previous owner pried em out ! So, I install a new extractor, new feed throat, thoroughly clean everything, re-assemble. Action is nice, it extracts but won't feed or chamber. Hmmm... well I did notice something on the chamber face, looks like a feed ramp, not sure if this barrel is supposed to have it, thinking about it, seems like it would have to have been done at the factory. However, I notice that this seems to be the pinch point, lines up with the firing pin, which looked fine upon inspection, it makes a nice mark in the casing, ( fired live ammo prior to all this, and used a spent round to check same ) is recessed in the bolt until fired, not too long, but it seems the last problem to fix is a peened chamber, from someone dry firing this rifle, which is for the most part a no-no with rim fire calibers unless you have a snap cap or spent round in there. Seems like the feed ramp should be there, however in the same location, something is just off enough to jam up the works, it don't take much with these kinds of tolerances.

Has anyone used one of these tools ? I saw a you tube video showing a person using it on an old breach loading .22 long rifle, works nice, but .22 WMR is slightly larger in diameter, case thickness I believe, I know, just take er to the gunsmith LOL, been a fun learning experience so far, looks like an easy fix, barrels for these were $40 last I checked, but out of stock currently.
Chamber Ironing Tool

I make my own for the 22.Measure the diameter of the brass on a loaded cartridge.Find a length of round stock of the same size.File a small flat spot on the rod about the length of the brass.Put the rod into the chamber.You will have to line up the flat with the peened area.You can bend the rod if you want.Turning the rod will force the peened metal back.

I had a similar problem yesterday with a .22 pistol. There was a little nick or indentation on the leading edge of the chamber. It was caused by the firing pin and dry firing. 60 seconds with a dremel tool and a cone shaped grinding wheel and it was fixed.

The idea of the chamber tool is to put the metal back in place instead of removing it. Read about this recently is one of the gun magazines I get.

Josh

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back