First time for everything

LisaK

Yesterday I decided to get the Iowa tractor running. 51 or 52 8n. It sure didn't look like it would take much...like throw a battery in it and prime the oil pump and try it (after cleaning the points) It had a Dearborn loader on that we took off first. throw a battery in..you know where im headed here...nothing. Stuck engine..After we were able to get the rusted in overly tightened sparkies out I filled the cylinders half way with atf/brake fluid mix...walked away for an hr...4th gear rocked the tractor (did I mention the rear tires are loaded..the right one being full up to the top) no dice..stuck my finger down the plug hole couldn't feel fluid...dump some more in..come back later rock it some more..nope...fine. The last time I filled the cylinders 1-3 all immediately drained...#4 held back the fluid..let sit few more hrs...rocked again..nope...hooked up the 4 wheeler mark on the tractor pulled him down the drive way tractor in 4th popped the clutch few times..nope..back to the shop one last time releasing the clutch she broke loose. I washed off most the atf that sprayed everywhere...put some new plugs in and it runs..Wont start on its own. has to be pull started. So either the battery isn't good enough or starter or maybe need to clean the mating surfaces on starter and block. 20lbs hot oil pressure. valves seem a little noisy...oil pan is cracked I noticed that while cleaning it off waiting on cylinders to soak. Govenor needs rebuilt. think im going to do a ct on it today.

We had a Farmall that was used at least weekly that I NEVER remember starting on its own. I know it had a starter but I can't recall if we were too cheap for a battery or the starter just didn't work. Every time I have to pull something I think of that. Do it for old time's same.

I have a crank rod from an old Dodge truck that I started my 9n with when my battery failed and was looking for a good deal on a good battery. It was really easy to start,remembering the way I started the old truck when it was cold and the starter dragged.

Well I figgured out the battery won't hold a charge.... Got it started after charging the battery. I've got a hand crank but not brave enough to try it out

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back