First time owner - MF 135 is the head gasket blown?

Ronald1978

New User
After long time looking for a tractor, I finally bought a MF135. This is my first tractor ever. I [u:c0995ce492]was[/u:c0995ce492] so existed, but I seem to be unlucky :( The seller seems to have hidden some information. I hope to get some advice here.

It is a MF 135, 1967, Perkins ad3.153 (diesel).

My neighbor have been kind with helping me with the following:

The radiator was almost empty upon arrival, and after filling it up and starting it overflow immediately. The coolant was inspected and it was almost like brown "porridge". We cleaned the cooling system and the water pump. The thermostat seems to be relative new. We refilled with proper coolant and the same thing happen, with immediately overflow and bubbles. The bubbles also last for some time after turning off the motor. We also tried to disconnect the fan belt, to exclude the water pump, but the same thing happen (see video https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ihx10vil7go8i1/IMG_3722.MOV?dl=0).

There is no water in the oil, and I do not think there is oil in the coolant. Is the head gasket blown or could it be worse? My neighbor also noted that it seems that the head gasket is not of copper (did not open the head, only seen from outside).

Help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
A unlucky first time tractor owner :(

Hi, clearly there is a problem here and I
would agree with Charles that the brown
liquid could be sealant suggesting that the
previous owner knew about the problem. Do
you have any recourse back to the previous
owner before you start stripping it? Head
gasket failure will be the least painful
cause. Don't risk starting the engine again
until you have investigated further.
DavidP, South Wales

Just having pulled the head off of my a3.152 Perkins I can tell you its not a bad job at all. Maybe 10-15 minutes of tank removal (mine was full of diesel too). 10-15 minutes of fuel line and injector removal. 10-15 more minutes of coolant draining. Then the head unbolts and lifts off with ease. Unless for some reason there is a warranty or something on such an old tractor you might as well pull the head and take a look. My head cost under $300 plus parts to reman. Overall easy enough and not crazy expensive either.

(quoted from post at 00:07:48 10/20/18) After long time looking for a tractor, I finally bought a MF135. This is my first tractor ever. I [u:f212e90b66]was[/u:f212e90b66] so existed, but I seem to be unlucky :( The seller seems to have hidden some information. I hope to get some advice here.

It is a MF 135, 1967, Perkins ad3.153 (diesel).

My neighbor have been kind with helping me with the following:

The radiator was almost empty upon arrival, and after filling it up and starting it overflow immediately. The coolant was inspected and it was almost like brown "porridge". We cleaned the cooling system and the water pump. The thermostat seems to be relative new. We refilled with proper coolant and the same thing happen, with immediately overflow and bubbles. The bubbles also last for some time after turning off the motor. We also tried to disconnect the fan belt, to exclude the water pump, but the same thing happen (see video https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ihx10vil7go8i1/IMG_3722.MOV?dl=0).

There is no water in the oil, and I do not think there is oil in the coolant. Is the head gasket blown or could it be worse? My neighbor also noted that it seems that the head gasket is not of copper (did not open the head, only seen from outside).

Help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
A unlucky first time tractor owner :(

From what you describe, it sounds like the cooling system is being pressurized by the cylinders.

it could be the head gasket. The brown porridge sounds like previous owners attempt to bodge it up to either use it or sell it.
Problems such as a blocked up radiator core and then further overheating only add further problems to the original one.
Make sure you really clean the core properly so that it will actually exchange heat, ie work once you have fixed it.

Can you do a CO test of the cooling system first ?

Either way, it sounds like its head off time, and inspect and go from there.

T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back