flipping the ring gear

Yes I agree , but this is a gas tractor and a lot older and who knows if rings gears are available. Once the starter is engaged the battle is beat. Them worn teeth are there for the ride. And if proper tuned up they will start with 2 revolutions not 20. And I have never saw a bad ring gear on a 6 volt system.

1940 H. As long as I'm this far in, why not flip the ring gear ? It is so chewed up that the old style starter drive would jam regularly. The new style has been good. Why do it ? Because I have never done it. And the chewed up teeth will quit working at some point.

Questions: Support the ring gear or the flywheel ? What is the best way to clean them when they are separated ? Will the gear have to get red hot ?

Any other helpful advice ?
Thanks
Greg
pioneer gear many auto paqrts places have the catalog

Thanks for the help. It was back together before I heard about the bevel on the ring gear. There is less than 0.002 (thinnest feeler gauge I have) between the flywheel and the ring gear so I think it will be okay. I did put a tiny bevel on all the teeth just for good measure.

Does any one ever grease the ring gear ? I can imagine that too much would make a mess but none doesn't seem quite right either.
no,... u make sure the starter drive or bendix is lubed with oil on the armature shaft when you o/h a starter, the actual gears stay dry. many starters also have oil cups for the 2 end bushings to give them a shot periodically. and yes good idea on the bevel.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back