Flushing engine or not

Axell

Hi

I have an old 35x that I believe have been sitting for a long time by the former owner. The oil level was very low and very black. There might be a lot of sludge inside the pan and pipes. I have read about flushing engine with diesel.
I am not too eager to remove the sump strainer although I am curious. But am afraid not to get it oil tight again.
What do you normally do when you get an old tractor that has been sitting for years? Do you flush?

Good question. I suspect you're going to get a lot of differing responses from different people. The old-timer method was to drain oil
and fill crankcase with kerosene instead, run for 30 seconds or so, drain again, then fill with good clean oil. I've always been too
nervous to try anything like this myself, but folks swore by it.

For me if I'm trying to clean an engine and not doing a full tear down: I spray a hefty dose of a good penetrating oil in each cylinder
via the plug hole: Either sea-foam's 'Deep-Creep' or GM's penetrating fluid (which is amazing stuff). With the plugs out give it a quick
(3-4 second) crank over to get it splashed around the combustion chamber and coat everything, then spray in some more and let soak. The
penetrating oil helps break up carbon and loosen rings in the top end. I add a full can of sea-foam motor treatment to the crankcase and
the gas tank and let it and the penetrating oil in the top end soak for a few days (sometimes spraying a little more penetrant in the
chambers every now and again). Before starting, I'll crank over with the plugs out for a second or two (to make sure the chambers aren't
full of enough penetrant to compress/damage something). Then put plugs in and run for a while. I make sure to get the engine up to a good
temperature and work it a little (though not too hard as your oil will be thinned out with the sea foam in the oil and penetrating fluid
that's leaked down past the rings). I then drain the oil while it's still hot. As will all oil changes, it's best to drain while hot
because all your sludge and contaminants will be fluid and suspended in the oil). Just don't burn yourself undoing the drain plug. Make
sure it all drains out well, then re-fill with good new oil.

Not saying it's the best method; just my shade-tree method of trying to clean up an engine without a lot of time or money. Some people
will probably find fault with my method, but it works well for me. Usually makes a very noticeable different in how well it runs and how
clean the oil stays afterwards. when you drain the oil the first time after soaking it you'll be amazed at what comes out.

I should add to my comment above that I'm definitely not stingy with the penetrant in the top end. When it leaks past the rings and gets into the oil I think it does far more to break up sludge and clean everything up than anything else. Between all cylinders and letting it soak/spraying more in occasionally while soaking, I'll probably go through at least one full can of penetrant - possibly two.

Use the same care with the transmission and rear end gear oil.

Buy new shifter boots and three point draft boot as often they degrade and let a lot of water into the tractor. Damage to bearings and gears is much greater than the $10 in boots.

I would pull the valve cover and look for sludge. If it has a lot of sludge a flush may just plug the pick up tube. If you know for certain that it has only a little neglect, then I would change oil and put about a cup of tranny fluid in it and run it a bit and drain and refill along with filter replacement.

It was suggested (MF 35 3 cylinder Perkins diesel) that I remove the 6 (Diam ?) Inspection plate on the base of the Engine oil Pan...as the Crankshaft THRUST was beyond operating limits...

The screen on the oil pump suction side was beat all to He_l..

Bob...

Ok thanks. I might try doing it like you. Cant find the products you mention but perhaps some other penetrating oil.
I dont have q temperature gauge on mine. But is half an hour of driving round the field ok warm enough?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back