Follow up on Farmall Cub spark - Now carburetor

andy r

Stopped by the neighbors this afternoon and fixed the ignition. Works just right! Got the #1 piston at top dead center with the pointer at the groove on the crankshaft pulley, aligned the rotor with spark plug wire #1 and we had good spark at all four cylinders. The new problem is the threads on the fuel inlet on the original carburetor are damaged. He ordered a $30 carburetor off of ebay. The tractor really doesn't want to run right unless you give the little plug like thing (sort of a jet or orifice) on the side of the carburetor a little turn out. I attached a picture of the carburetor. The plug I am talking about is the gold colored hex head bolt in the lower center of the carburetor. Now those of you who know the cub carburetor know that this plug is suppose to be screwed entirely in and the fuel metering is done via the hole drilled through the plug. Yep, tractor runs perfect with it screwed out maybe 1/2 turn. Of course with it screwed outward it leaks. Are the China carburetors junk?? Seems like when you shut the tractor off the needle and seat might begin to leak as well. Thanks. jpg>

cvphoto122250.jpg

I have used a dozen ' Chinese' carbs on cubs over the last year. They all work fine. However, it appears that the CNC machine broke a bit and no one caught it. On every one I've use this hole ( red straw pointing to it) has to be drilled out. Simple to do and the only way they would work for us.
cvphoto122253.jpg

cvphoto122254.jpg

Takes a couple minutes to do. Look it carb air intake at the top. If no hole, split the carb and drill it through.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back