Ford 4000 Timing Question

Brutus45

Looking for some guidance on how to make sure I did not skip a tooth on my cav pump gears. I have the pump removed and have read it is difficult but possible to skip teeth with these gears,so how do you check it to make sure that Didn't happen? So I see a dot on each gear,do I just need to rotate to top dead center and dots should be aligned? How would I turn engine to do this and is it ok with cav pump off. Thanks

Did you just remove the pump, or did you remove the timing gear on the front of the engine? If you only removed the pump, then the dowel on the front of the pump will only fit into the hole in the timing gear one way and timing shouldn't be an issue.

I think it can be done but will mark it and try it. I would like to turn the gears and make sure dot on pump drive gear matches up with mating gear before I put together. The tractor was running ok but when idling rpm would slowly start dropping or increasing. When going up a hill or running the tiller rpm would drop and I would have to manually throttle up to compensate. When lift tiller out of dirt would have to manually throttle down. Governor spring is correct. Could it be a clogged fuel return line? Which wouldn't explain the rpm increasing

(quoted from post at 12:51:59 05/09/23) I think it can be done but will mark it and try it. I would like to turn the gears and make sure dot on pump drive gear matches up with mating gear before I put together. The tractor was running ok but when idling rpm would slowly start dropping or increasing. When going up a hill or running the tiller rpm would drop and I would have to manually throttle up to compensate. When lift tiller out of dirt would have to manually throttle down. Governor spring is correct. Could it be a clogged fuel return line? Which wouldn't explain the rpm increasing
FYI
1qh3qVe.jpg

I ve only had it happen once on my 4000 but the 5600 has done it a few times
The small screen in the back of the pump has gotten nearly stopped up
Had to remove the regulating valve assembly to clean it

mvphoto105514.jpg

mvphoto105515.jpg

mvphoto105516.jpg

Thanks. I have a new filter and all is cleaned. I checked all
fuel lines and blew out so those are clean. When I get pump
installed again I will see what happens this time. Hopefully it
will run under load as I am not sure what else to do

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back