Ford 545 Backhoe Shuttle Shift Trouble

richgwilson

New User
First post to the forum, tried searching for a while and I know this is a popular topic but I don t often see a resolution posted about it.

My somewhat new to me Ford 545 backhoe with the 4 speed shuttle shift is giving me some trouble that my experience makes me think shouldn t require splitting the tractor. It s when it warms up it will stop going forward after a while. But when it stops going forward, it will go backward for a while. Then it will give up that direction but be willing to go forward again and so on. This really seems more like a clog or something but I m new to these and thought someone here may be able to point me in the right direction quickly. Thank you in advance for any recommendations and help.

Worth mentioning I ve adjusted nothing yet. Planning to change the hydraulic filter on the side of the trans but it doesn t look too old. Could it be the wrong fluid causes this type of issue? I believe it s full of tractor supply s universal since the torque converter shares its tank with the loader/backhoe iirc. And the loader/backhoe tank in the front of the tractor is definitely full of that.

The transmission and hydraulic systems do not share oil. A new filter and fresh oil are your first steps.

There is a pressure test port at the bottom front of the transmission just underneath a metal plate with 4
bolts. Find a 300-PSI gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting and monitor the pressures in neutral, forward, and
reverse, both when it's driving and when it's not. Post back with your results.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back