ford 555a tranny popping out of third gear

rockwind1

is this somewhat normal? third gear is all the way to left and down,, so the stick actually has to go up against gravity to pop out of gear,, which it does willingly and easily,, usually within about 20 second of engine rpms going up while moving. has this happened to anyone else? my dad was grinding the hell out of the gears, that gear in particular,, could that have done something?

(quoted from post at 23:16:13 12/10/21) is this somewhat normal? third gear is all the way to left and down,, so the stick actually has to go up against gravity to pop out of gear,, which it does willingly and easily,, usually within about 20 second of engine rpms going up while moving. has this happened to anyone else? my dad was grinding the hell out of the gears, that gear in particular,, could that have done something?

Grinding gears rounds the teeth off so that could definitely be the cause of your problem.

third gear is all the way to left and down,,

Third is right and down. Left and down is second. I assume second is what has issues. It is used the most. You can remove the sheet metal in the floor around the shifter and remove the top off the crash box to get a look inside.

someone had posted the gear shift pattern for me in another thread i started in the main forum which seemed to indicate that 2nd was directly "below" first.

(quoted from post at 13:23:53 12/11/21)
someone had posted the gear shift pattern for me in another thread i started in the main forum which seemed to indicate that 2nd was directly "below" first.

I'll check and let you know. I never think about it anymore. Maybe I made a mistake.

Ok. So here's the treatise on P/R 4x4 shift patterns. Up & Right=1st. Up & Left=4th. Down and Right=3rd. Down and Left=2nd. Even on the Left and Odd on the Right. There's enough of the shift pattern sticker left on my dash to verify I haven't lost my mind, yet. First I looked in the manual, to avoid any work. The manual just refers you to the decal on the dash and nothing more re the pattern. Maybe my mistake here is assuming you have a 4x4 Power Reversing Transmission. They made the 4x4 with a clutch and called it Manual Reversing and they made another transmission, maybe a 4x6. I've never seen any form of manual shuttle and forgot they made one until looking at the Operator's Manual. Someone was just asking about one of these here or over on HEF recently. You'd think I'd have remembered there was another option. If you have a clutch and a Manual Reversing shuttle, maybe I've been leading you in the wrong direction. I have no info on the manual shuttle. Sorry about that if this is the case.

thanks for the education!!!! i really appreciate it. my dad bought this tractor 20+ years ago and now he is getting alzheimers and doesn't remember too much about it. i think he only every used 2nd gear. i did find the decal someone had posted for me which is what i was going off of. as i get more time on the tractor, i will be able to figure it out just by feel/power. i didn't know there were so many different types

i am more inclined to also think 2nd is down and left, as the brief time i have used it, that seemed like the lower gear. sadly, that is the one my dad used the most and since he is deaf,, he can't hear the grinding. i think he leaves the shuttle in gear and when he goes into 2nd, he doesn't hear it grinding. i finally had to stop him but i think the damage has been done since it wont' stay in 2nd now it seems. i think i will just use a bungee cord to keep it in place. i have no desire to work on the transmission!

mvphoto85687.jpg

This post was edited by rockwind1 on 12/11/2021 at 02:18 pm.

That is the decal for a machine with a manual clutch and 3 & 2 apparently switch positions. I learn something new every day.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back