Ford 801 3 point not raising

I m looking for some help on my Ford 801. I m having trouble raising and lowering the 3 point with implements on it. When no implement is attached it seems to raise and lower ok. The dipstick on the left under the seat was dry so I added fluid underneath the seat. After doing this it seems like it has air in the fluid as the fluid is frothy on the dipstick. The 3 point has raised a couple times but will not consistently raise. Any help is appreciated!!

"Frothy"could be water contamination or air bubbles. In either case, I would drain the hydraulic sump completely and fill with new fluid and then run it and see what the fluid looks like and how the lift works.

(quoted from post at 16:27:39 08/20/23) "Frothy"could be water contamination or air bubbles. In either case, I would drain the hydraulic sump completely and fill with new fluid and then run it and see what the fluid looks like and how the lift works.

Thank you for the reply. I should still drain and refill even though it was dry and I just put new oil in it? Also, where is the drain located? Thank you

The dipstick doesn't go all of the way to the bottom of the sump. The dip stick being dry just means that the level was blow the end of the stick, and you don't know what was in there below that. It could have been anything from old fluid contaminated with water and/or dirt to pure water, or it could have been completely dry. If the pump was run with not enough fluid in there for too long then the pump probably needs to be checked out as well, as they are not meant to be run dry, and the pump is running anytime that the engine is running.

(quoted from post at 04:50:08 08/21/23) The dipstick doesn't go all of the way to the bottom of the sump. The dip stick being dry just means that the level was blow the end of the stick, and you don't know what was in there below that. It could have been anything from old fluid contaminated with water and/or dirt to pure water, or it could have been completely dry. If the pump was run with not enough fluid in there for too long then the pump probably needs to be checked out as well, as they are not meant to be run dry, and the pump is running anytime that the engine is running.

Understood. Thank you very much! Do you drain it underneath the tractor under seat I m assuming?

there are 4 drain plugs under the tractor. Going from front to rear they are:

Engine oil drain
transmission fluid drain
3 point hydraulics sump drain
Rear axle/differential drain

(quoted from post at 17:51:35 08/21/23) there are 4 drain plugs under the tractor. Going from front to rear they are:

Engine oil drain
transmission fluid drain
3 point hydraulics sump drain
Rear axle/differential drain

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help

So I took the mower off and ran the arms up and down a bunch. Stood on them and raised myself a bunch no problem.

Hooked mower up and it came right up. But after I let it back down it doesn't really wanna come back up. If I drive around it will slowly come up but I have to drive to get it to do it. It looks like it may have just a little too much oil in it per the dipstick. Should I drain some off or just leave it?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back