ford 801 backfire during accelerating

happymech

New User
Hello,

Ok this tractor used to run great. Dad has MS and been in chair for while and tractor has not been touched in about 3-4 years.

About me am an aircraft mech and buddy is heavy equipment mech. But we know are way around new stuff.

rebuilt carb, cleaned bowl assy, gas tank rusted bad took it off and rigged up plastic tank of lawnmower. Fuel is new and clean.

Can get tractor to Idle during acceleration it backfires and/or spits fuel out the carbs intake. no combination of carbs setting will fix it.

pulled out dwell tach meter. (never used one till today) so read manual it says if dwell angle is small engine will backfire during accekeration (that what it have going) So checked gap on point at .025 recommend dwell angle was low from what was recommend from dwell meter unlisted engine (4cyl dwell angle 59).

So we closed down the dwell angle to about 55 buy adjusting point gap down to .008, as moving gap down and angle up it did seem to help.

we also tried adjusting timing nothing help

tommorow im going to buy new points and capacitor

DOES ANYBODY KNOW PROPER DWELL ANGLE?

ANYBODY GOT ANY ADVICE?

THANKS
MICHAEL

As for stuck valves.

I thought about that but stuck valves to be doesnt explain smooth idle. and it only backfires during acceleration. not once it made power.

if that still has sound like stuck valves please let me know, as im an more familar with jet engine than pistons
thanks Michael

(quoted from post at 11:48:24 04/06/10) awhtx

you are dead on pulled cover three stuck intake valves and three bent pushrod.

thanks Michael
lad you found the problem. When you have dealt with the valve problem, you need to get points back to 0.025". It won't run, won't run right, or won't run very long with a 0.008" gap. Forget the dwell.

You might see something in the 35 degree range.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back