Ford 850 PTO replacement Having trouble

billgintheup

New User
I have a 1955 ford 850 tractor trying to change the PTO. I have purchased a replacement PTO for that tractor it is 32 11/16 inches long. the old shaft came out no problem and the new one goes in all the way however when I push the shaft in the last 1/2 inch it forces the PTO to engage and the PTO will not disengage. I did notice the follwing numbers and letters on the rear end of the tractor that the PTO shaft runs through, "NDA 4024 B -1". Also "560" is under these numbers and letters. I suppose I could leave the pto turning all the time, however disengaging the pto is important. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I have already removed that plate the pto shaft goes in approximately 2 inches. I can then bolt the shaft back in and the Pto will work (spin) when I turn the engine over, but I then can not disengage the PTO. Something will not allow me to pull it back properly to disengage. Doesn't make sense. isn't that collar suppose to ride back and forth over the spline on the PTO? The PTO shifter seems to work properly when the shaft is not in and it worked properly before I pulled the old one out.

It's possible that the piece on the back side of the PTO handle shaft popped out of position and is no longer engaging the collar properly. It's not a big job to pull the entire round plate with the handle assembly to see what's going on.

(quoted from post at 14:29:51 08/04/22) It's possible that the piece on the back side of the PTO handle shaft popped out of position and is no longer engaging the collar properly. It's not a big job to pull the entire round plate with the handle assembly to see what's going on.

I have pulled that round plate off and everything seems to be working properly until I put the pto shaft back in, I then can not pull the handle back enough to disengage the pto

(quoted from post at 12:22:57 08/05/22)
(quoted from post at 14:29:51 08/04/22) It's possible that the piece on the back side of the PTO handle shaft popped out of position and is no longer engaging the collar properly. It's not a big job to pull the entire round plate with the handle assembly to see what's going on.

I have pulled that round plate off and everything seems to be working properly until I put the pto shaft back in, I then can not pull the handle back enough to disengage the pto

How can you tell that things appear to work properly until you "put the pto shaft back in" without seeing things when the PTO shaft is installed? Pulling the round plate and checking things when the PTO shaft is not installed won't tell you anything. Have you tried putting the PTO shaft back in while the round cover is removed and check to see if you can slide the collar manually far enough to disengage the PTO while the round plate is removed?

(quoted from post at 15:06:01 08/05/22)
(quoted from post at 12:22:57 08/05/22)

How can you tell that things appear to work properly until you "put the pto shaft back in" without seeing things when the PTO shaft is installed? Pulling the round plate and checking things when the PTO shaft is not installed won't tell you anything. Have you tried putting the PTO shaft back in while the round cover is removed and check to see if you can slide the collar manually far enough to disengage the PTO while the round plate is removed?

Sean in PA I have done what you are asking. I have the round side panel off and put the PTO shaft back in place, the splined end of the PTO shaft goes into the collar about 2 inches when it seems to catch something and forces the collar forward to engage. Once I have pushed the PTO shaft all the way in the PTO is engaged and you cant disengage the PTO with out pulling the PTO shaft back out about a 1/2 inch. Thought about cutting a 1/2 inch off the pto shaft because it does work properly at that point. But I figured it would do damage to the pto operation.

billgintheup, you've made enough posts on here now, you should be able to post a photo of your tractor. Would you?

Also, just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the PTO?

Sounds like there may be damage to the splines inside the collar, like they might be slightly twisted, or there may be a burr inside there somewhere.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back