Ford 860 PTO clutch not stopping right

KJMClark

Last night I was mowing with my 860 and noticed something I haven't seen before. Normally, to engage the PTO, I move the clutch lever pin to the PTO position, which gives me my two-stage clutch. Then when you push the clutch pedal all the way down, the drive train disengages at about half-way, then at the bottom the PTO shaft also disengages. Then I move the PTO lever so that system is shut off while I go back behind the tractor to clear some of the cuttings (sickle bar mower clogging with weed grass).

To turn the PTO back on, I push the clutch in all the way, wait a few seconds, then try slowly pulling the PTO lever forward. If the internal shaft has stopped, I can move the lever to engage the PTO. If it hasn't stopped, I'll get the gears grinding sound/feel and back the lever off for a few more seconds. It's always stopped by then, so I'm good to move the lever to use the PTO.

What I was getting last night was, I'd go to move the lever to engage the PTO, and the internal shaft was still turning. So I'd wait a few seconds, try again, and it was *still* turning. Didn't seem to have slowed down. Clutch pedal was all the way down. Wait a bit again and try, and it's *still* turning. I *think* I found that making sure the transmission was in neutral helped a bit, and sometimes it slowed down like it usually does and I could just move the lever. So, out of 20 times I had to shut things down and restart them, about half the time things worked normally, and half the time I'd have to wait an extra 10, 20, 30 seconds for that internal shaft to stop.

While I was doing this, the PTO shaft wasn't moving. That part works just fine - when the PTO is engaged, everything works normally, and I could disengage the PTO completely normally too.

I read somewhere something about a PTO shaft brake, but that doesn't seem like the problem here - the external shaft is stopped. I read something else about the PTO lever not working, but mine's working fine. Any ideas?

That tractor does not have a PTO shaft brake, so rule that out at the get go.

Sounds like your PTO clutch is either not adjusted properly or is failing. You might try to adjust pedal free play. Other than that that clutch assembly is adjusted in a jig out of the tractor.

It also might have a small oil leak from the transmission getting on the PTO clutch disc making it a little sticky which would have a tendency to hang on with no load on it.

1, as others said, no pto brake, so stop that wild goose hunt before permits are issued.

2, first thing I'd do is adjust pedal freeplay to it's minimum.

3, check the cotter pin to make sure it is not clogged up and holding oil. As another user mentioned, a wet disc actually can stick and grab, vs slipping as some immediately think.

If it's not one of those, there are a couple other issues with bearings that may be keeping the input shaft turning, but lets not jump to worst cases yet.

might just be out of adjustment pedal stacked with worn pin holes not letting you get enough pedal travel to get both sections out.

lastly, you may have mechanical wear in the clutch so that you just cant get both sections clutched.

Thanks to the three of you - I need to dig up my service manual and look at the tractor to see how to adjust that pedal.

Soundguy, for #3, which cotter pin is that?

I won't be back out there until tomorrow night at the earliest, so I'll get back on here after that and report back. Whatever it is, I'm catching it early - I used the PTO for a broadcast spreader a week ago with no issues. Just hoping to head it off before it has to go to the shop if it's something small.

Thanks again!

Ran in to the same problem on an 860 also.Tried the clutch adjustment-no joy.Finally pulled the PTO shaft and found the front splines had a slight twist.R&R shaft and all is well.

An update: Don't know if it's the only problem, but clearly I need to adjust that clutch pedal. Also trying to line up a replacement bushing for it. It wobbles a lot more than it probably should. I was able to loosen the lock nut, but the actual adjustment - um, thingy - is locked up and won't move, so I hit it with PB Blaster and I'll try to move it again this weekend. (What do you call that - a yoke nut or something?)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back