Ford 861 Steering Sector Rebuild

The steering sector on my Ford 861 (gas, manual steering) is leaking oil from the righthand shaft seal. I tried to replace the seal without pulling the shaft, but it is still leaking. I am trying to pull the shaft so I can inspect it and find out why its leaking. I am looking for instructions on how to pull out the shaft. I removed the steering column and the box was full of gunk. Glad I am pulling it apart. I removed the steering arms from each side. I removed the bolts from both side covers but they are stuck solid. The covers should come straight out with the shafts, right?

I cannot back them all the way out. They only come so far. From the diagram it looks like the screws have heads that mate to the end of the shaft.

I am thinking that the covers are rusted in place and may take some man power to back them out.

mvphoto106050.png

So, the covers were rusted in place. It took some doing, but I got them out. It did help to screw the adjustment screws all the way out, so when I was driving the shafts out with a hammer and block of wood, the shafts were making contact with the entire plate, and not jus the threads of the adjustment screws. I was able to drive very thin screw drivers into the margins and it helped to remove the covers as I was driving with the block and hammer. Eventually I was able to use thicker chisels to wedge them out.

Interesting to note that the diagram recommends having 2 seals on each shaft, plus the felt seal protector. The kits on Steiner and YT only come with one, but the shaft is long enough to support having 2 so I am going to double them up.

mvphoto106061.jpg

mvphoto106062.jpg

mvphoto106067.jpg

This post was edited by datacommand on 05/24/2023 at 06:38 pm.

The replacement seals are not as robust as the original Yes I double them up. I put one to seal the inside and turn the other over to seal from the outside. It is what it is a wimpy replacement part.

Odd that my tractor only had one seal. They must have been replaced in the past. Bearings and bushings are in good shape so if I can figure out how to align all the gears it should go back together pretty easily. I am going to put some anti-sieze on the covers so maybe they would rust solid again.

Does anyone know what oil weight it takes and how much to put in?

The original used one seal per side they were a wider seal. I add a grease fitting and pump it full off corn head grease. (oo grease)

When I say full till it comes out of the top of the steering column.
Someone has the info on that maybe this will post it.

It is a marvelous piece of engineering.

Any instructions for reassembly and lining up the gears?

I am thinking this:

1. Align the gears inside the gear box in neutral positions. Attach the steering arms so they point straight downwards confirming they are neutral.

2. Align and hold the steering column gear so it is in the middle of the throw, then position the steering column inside the gearbox until the gear meshes with the forward steering shaft and the bottom bearing falls into the bearing well. Secure temporarily with 2 bolts.

3. Attach the steering wheel and turn it from stop to stop and confirm the steering column gear was centered correctly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back