Ford 8n stuck in two gears

I just got my tractor running after 30 years of a nice rest. I was having a nice time cruising around my yard and went up a small hill to turn around in my driveway, I was about to go back down the hill . I was worried about going to fast down hill, so at top of hill I came to complete stop and shifted from 3rd to 2nd. About half way down hill the rear end locked up and stalled engine. I re-started tractor with clutch pressed down. And as I slowly released clutch I could see the tractor straining to move but it wouldent move.

The shift lever is stuck in 2nd gear still, I relieved the pressure my yanking it backwards with my lawn tractor,

(FORGIVE MY LACK OF VOCABULARY IN THE NEXT FEW LINES)

I took the tranny cover off and I can see the thing that the thing that slides along the rail, was in between 2nd and 3rd gear. How can I fix this?

http://photos.yesterdaystractors.com/gallery/uptest/a268161_sml.jpg

Hi Jacobsen1450, I'm attempting to send a photo of the transmission from the F0-4 manual. My first attempt. I've never had it happen to me, but from what I've read it's not uncommon. What you need to do, is using a big screwdriver or pry bar, get all the slider gears in neutral, put the cover back on with the shift lever in neutral. Let's hope something isn't broken in there. Who knows how many kids played on that tractor over the 30 years.
a268160.jpg

a268161.jpg

I forgot to add that what is strange is, that you ran it part way down the driveway before it locked up. Usually they are locked up right away because the shifter never actually took it out of third gear in your case, but shifted into second.

I have seen it before. While the cover is off inspect the shifter gate fingers and likely you will find that they are worn. You can weld up the fingers and grind them to the original shape and you will be amazed then how nicely it shifts and to just one gear at a tine,

I have to admit it, Im only 14 years old and before I got it running I was do the typical "Imaginary Farming" that most kids do whenever they are sitting in a seat of a tractor.

Do you think I am suppose to double clutch it? that would prevent it from getting into 2 gears.

What i mean by double clutching is:

1. Press clutch in
2. Shift out of gear and into neutral
3. Release clutch (To make sure its out of gear)
4. Press clutch in again
5. Shift into my desired gear
6. Slowly release clutch

I have done it a few times. The fingers are on the shift gate which is a removable part on the transmission cover. Just remove the cover and repair them if needed. When gears are jammed like yours they can be pried apart but sometimes with much force required. If stuck severely excess force can break gears so be careful.

If you can take a picture looking straight down at the gears with the lid off. remember these are constant mess type set up, the only things that move is the couplers.Also never shift while the tractor is moving. Double clutching worked in the 1946 Chev truck I learned how to drive in. If you have really worn forks, you should be able to find them on ebay. there is complete set of rails and forks on ebay right now.

(quoted from post at 11:06:00 05/19/18) http://photos.yesterdaystractors.com/gallery/uptest/a268161_sml.jpg
Jim,

Can you tell us where you got that manual? I just picked up a '48 8N that needs some love. The only manual I have is the Operator's Manual.

Many thanks in advance!

Alan

(quoted from post at 19:45:36 05/20/18) t to get a pry bar in between the two gears because of the sliding fork thing
It is not the gears that move, it is that sliding fork thing. did you look at the link for John Smith solution?

(quoted from post at 17:37:54 05/20/18)
(quoted from post at 11:06:00 05/19/18) http://photos.yesterdaystractors.com/gallery/uptest/a268161_sml.jpg
Jim,

Can you tell us where you got that manual? I just picked up a '48 8N that needs some love. The only manual I have is the Operator's Manual.

Many thanks in advance!

Alan

Our host here at YT sells the FO-4 manual. support the people who provide this forum.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back