Ford 9N won t move

Tomcuree

New User
So I m a rookie so forgive my lack of knowledge here...

I was plowing with my Ford 9N, and I m new to all of this. All of a sudden, no sound no nothing (at least to my knowledge), my tractor wouldn t move. PTO works fine, with a load on it it works fine as well. I jacked up the tractor and the left wheel spins freely, when I brake that wheel the right wheel spins freely.

When trying to move in gear, it starts to budge on the ground but not enough to actually move the tractor. It doesn t bog down, no issues with that. It just seems like for some reason there s not enough power getting to the tires to actually move the tractor.

Looking for some advice of where to start digging into this. Thank you!

This sound like it may be a clutch problem. The clutch may be worn out or it has become oil/grease soaked and no longer has the "traction" to move the tractor but it has enough to move the wheels and PTO with no load on them. Or the clutch may be improperly adjusted. But since you were using it and it suddenly won't go, sounds like an oil leak to me. just my thoughts.

Now that you say oil leak, I did notice a little oil on the left rear wheel after it sat for a little bit. I do wonder if it might be overfilled with oil though.

(quoted from post at 05:25:50 05/09/20) Now that you say oil leak, I did notice a little oil on the left rear wheel after it sat for a little bit. I do wonder if it might be overfilled with oil though.

The oil on the left rear wheel is unrelated to your problem. That is another problem. Are you telling us that when put it in gear the tractor does not move when you let out the clutch? The PTO does spin and drives some sort of implement. If you jack up the rear of the tractor the wheels spin when you let out the clutch?

Correct, when I release the clutch with the tractor in gear, it is attempting to drive, does not slip out of gear (because it continues to attempt) but doesn t go forward or in reverse. The PTO spins and has zero issue pulling up my plow. With the rear jacked up, in any gear the left tire spins freely (the right one starts but stops immediately) then if I hit the brake on the left the right tire will spin freely (I now understand that s how these things work :) )

I haven t been able to find anything that really points to why this would happen. I think I figured out how to upload a video to show you what it s doing when on the ground.[/img]

[video play=false:bf51acef32]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo54523.mov[/video:bf51acef32]

(quoted from post at 07:41:04 05/09/20) Correct, when I release the clutch with the tractor in gear, it is attempting to drive, does not slip out of gear (because it continues to attempt) but doesn t go forward or in reverse. The PTO spins and has zero issue pulling up my plow. With the rear jacked up, in any gear the left tire spins freely (the right one starts but stops immediately) then if I hit the brake on the left the right tire will spin freely (I now understand that s how these things work :) )

I haven t been able to find anything that really points to why this would happen. I think I figured out how to upload a video to show you what it s doing when on the ground.[/img]

If I understand correctly it was a sudden failure while plowing. That suggests a catastrophic type event and my first thought is the pinion shaft coupler in the rear end has broken under the load of the plow. The shaft is a three piece welded assembly and they are known to break at one or both welds. You can visually inspect by removing one or both inspection covers. The welds are about 2 inches back from each end of the coupler and fasten the splined end caps to the center section.

TOH

When you say oil leak, there is many places that can happen. If it is by a wheel then you may have oil getting past the axle seals at the end of the axle shafts which would and could be getting to the brakes, this leads to poor stopping. What you want to check is how oily is the weeping hole that has the cotter pin in it to keep it clear? it is located in the bell housing on the underneath side where the clutch would be found. (some have said this one cotter pin holds the whole tractor together) if it is plugged, oil could have built up and soiled the clutch plate. if it is open and oil can be seen dripping from this hole then your rear main seal is probably leaking from the motor.

The first thing to check is the clutch linkage and is it properly adjusted? does the clutch peddle have 3/16" of play between the top of the clutch arm and the clutch pedal stop?

If this doesn't fix the problem then you may have to go into the clutch directly. The only fix for the clutch would be to split the tractor in half and have a look.

If you have a manual it will talk/show you through how to split and inspect the clutch components. I recently split my tractor to do engine work and I didn't think it was that bad of a project. It just took some time.

Not to me and I have a 9n & 2N. Has to be something broke but was 50 years ago the was into a rear end on them and that was only to change a spider gear so don't know what could have broke.

(quoted from post at 09:07:08 05/09/20) Not to me and I have a 9n & 2N. Has to be something broke but was 50 years ago the was into a rear end on them and that was only to change a spider gear so don't know what could have broke.
SAY WHAT?

It's either the ring or pinion.
Ring gear can be fixed by pulling the
left trumpet.
Pinion requires a split between the
transmission and rear end.
In my years of reading this board I have
seen more guys wuth sheared rivits on the
ring gear than pinion problems.

(quoted from post at 04:41:04 05/09/20) Correct, when I release the clutch with the tractor in gear, it is attempting to drive, does not slip out of gear (because it continues to attempt) but doesn t go forward or in reverse. The PTO spins and has zero issue pulling up my plow. With the rear jacked up, in any gear the left tire spins freely (the right one starts but stops immediately) then if I hit the brake on the left the right tire will spin freely (I now understand that s how these things work :) )

Ok, you jack the rear up and with it in gear you rotate a wheel and it rotates freely but the other side doesn't rotate. There is something broken in the rear end. I've broken an axle on an 8n, but I knew something broke!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back