Ford industrial tractor serial numbers.

This message is a reply to an archived post by Steve Parker on June 01, 2009 at 19:23:06.
The original subject was "Re: Ford industrial tractor serial numbers.".

This is my first post so I hope I am posting this in the correct spot....

This past Sunday I acquired my first tractor, it is a Ford 2000 Industrial. The kid I got it from said he thought it was a 1965 but from what I have been reading and based on the paint color I think it is 1960 to early 1961 but I'm not 100% sure. He said his grandpa bought it new and that most of the tractor is still original. Anyways, I read online where to find the serial number and this is what I found - These number came off the left side (if your sitting on the tractor), they are etched into the part of the motor that is directly under where the battery sits, the numbers are as follows - 63147193. The numbers are etched in two rows - 631 is above 47193...

Can anyone tell me what these stand for or if I located the wrong set of numbers..?

Also I took some pictures of the steering arms and am wondering if this tractor is equipped with power steering. I could be wrong but these two cylinders make me think it is but thought I would ask for yalls take.

Thanks in advance!

cvphoto29829.jpg

cvphoto29830.jpg

cvphoto29831.jpg

cvphoto29832.jpg

cvphoto29833.jpg

These number came off the left side (if your sitting on the tractor), they are etched into the part of the motor that is directly under where the battery sits, the numbers are as follows - 63147193. The numbers are etched in two rows - 631 is above 47193...

Those numbers are actually stamped into a flat spot in the transmission bell housing, not the engine. They mean that the transmission is from a model 631 tractor (4 speed transmission, with 3 point hydraulics but without a PTO) that was made in 1958. But that is just the transmission. As Shaun pointed out, the tractor itself originally had a Select-O-Speed transmission, which you can tell by the rectangular cutout in the sheet metal below the steering wheel. So the transmission was swapped out at some point. It definitely looks like the light industrial front axle. What is the raised casting number on the right side of the engine block?

It has power steering, cylinders and lines to the steering wheel box. The loader is a Wagner, the front bucket is not likely to be Wagner, someone switched that out at some point

Shaun Wallace - Thank you sir, i was trying to decide what you were saying but that is what i figured!

Sean in PA - Thank you as well! When i saw that "631" on there i figured there was a chance i was looking at the wrong numbers or that i wasnt looking at an original part... Ill look at number on the engine block when I get home and report back! Thanks for your help.

Billy NY - That is what i thought and was hoping for, thanks for your clarification! Good to know on the loader!

Ok so on the right side of the engine block, under the distributer cap
is has -CONN 6015J-

On a steel label on left side of block it say:
11181-F9KK
And below that it has:
B8PD-6005-G2 and to right of this there is some stuff that I can?t
make out at all...

What?s this mean??

The kids grandpa may have bought it new but very little of it is still original.
The red and buff colors are for 60-64 model industrials and the sheet metal indicates the tractor originally had a Select-O-Speed transmission, it now has a 4 sp trans from a 58 model 631 ag tractor.
C0NN-6015J is the casting number for a 172 ci engine built between 1960 and 64, the correct time frame for your tractor but the wrong engine, 172 engine was used on the 801 and early 4000 series.
2000 engine should have casting number C0NN6015C or G for the 134 ci engine.
The tractor does have power steering but I see evidence of blue paint on most of the steering components making me think it's been added from a ag model.
This is not a bad thing, just not original.
Also see some type of aftermarket air cleaner attached to the side of the tractor

Now post a picture from the rear of the tractor showing the rear axle. That will let us see if it is a 6xx/2xxx style with the raised top link eyes or if it's the heavier duty 8xx/4xxx style with the recess in the diffy housing where the top link eyes are mounted.

(quoted from post at 10:20:43 07/17/19)
Looks like a 600/601 series center housing, but I see more blue paint as well as a pto that the transmission numbers say it doesn't have.

Lots of 431's have had PTO added either by the dealer or a previous owner. Or, since it started out as an S-O-S 2000 light industrial, the PTO shaft might still be there from when it was an S-O-S , but just not be hooked up inside.

There is no such thing as a 6xx or 8xx industrial.
It is either a 2000 or 4000.
You said it is mostly orginal so lets go with that.

Red a buff colors were used 1959 to 1961.
They changed to blue and buff for 62-64.
Some of these guys on here can tell you if it is a 2000 or 4000 by that rear end picture.

The tractor had a SOS trans originally so the model and serial number off the trans will do no good.
All industrial model came from the factory with power steering.
Industrial models with the dash gauge set came with PTO.
If you do not have PTO it would have been removed with the trans swap.
Since it has a solid front axle we can rule out this is a 631 that had the sheet metal replaced.

So you have 1959 to 1961 2000 or 4000 industrial tractor.

Now lets narrow it down more.
Most times the rear end is seldom replaced.
So look on the rear end for the date codes and tell us what they say.

cvphoto29950.jpg

It's got a 172 ci engine form the 4000 series and the transmisson from an earlier 631 model as well as the lighter rear axle from the 2000 series. So it is officially a mutt.

Getting the date code from the rear axle won't help much except to tell him when that part of the tractor was made and what dates to look out for when ordering rear axle parts. He would have to get the date codes off of the trans and engine as well when looking up parts for them if any are date specific.

The more I look at it if I had to guess I would think it is a 62 to 64 2000 industrial that the engine and trans has been swapped.
Would explain the blue on the rear end and steering.

While the date code off the rear end and hyd housing will only date these pieces it is a good bet they are orginal and would at least tell him what the tractor was originally.

But yes it is officially a mutt.

All of this info is good stuff! I think we can all agree that very little of this thing is actually original... That said, it is nice learning what all parts make up this tractor so that in the case i need some parts i know what to order for, like Sean in PA said!

Thanks for yalls help, I'll get the numbers off the rear housing tonight when I get home!

Ok, so here are the numbers off the rear end, if you are sitting on the tractor the right side has C301 (maybe a G I can?t tell) and the left side has B71....

Do these even make sense??

I'm not too well versed in those early date codes, and anyone who knows for sure please feel fre to correct me, but I believe that those casting dates would translate as:

C301 - March 30, 1961
B71 - February 7, 1961

So the axle trumpets were cast in early 1961 so the tractor those axles were on when it left the factory was likely assembled a few weeks or at the most a few months later.

So it looks like you have a 1961 2000 rear axle with a 1958 631 transmission that has been upgrade to have the PTO option (non-live), and a 1960-1964 172 ci engine, which might have originally been installed in an 801 or a 4000 series tractor as those dates straddle the end of the one series and the beginning of the next, along with a 1961-1964 light industrial front axle and steering setup (both the 2000 and 4000 light industrial models used that same axle and steering assembly).

I have a warner swasey forklift. That comes back as a dahlmer forklift.
Model number for LG-1201-4
Serial number is 12L-1365
I need a throw out bearing for it.
Transmission number is 02nn-7006Dp
Engine Serial number is C479246
Can anyone tell me what I hwve?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back