Ford NAA Jubilee live PTO last update

JDEM

For anyone that owns one of these optional live PTO options. Here are some added specs. On mine, if I had new clutch disks, I could fix
it. It is likely something else out there will fit. I just don't happen to know where and want to get this tractor running now. So I have
eliminated this dealer-installed option.

The clutch assembly has 8 steel plates and 8 friction disks. The friction disks are approx. 5 1/4" OD, .063" thick (my used disks), have
45 teeth on the ID, and approx. 3 5/8" distance for the ID. The disks are metallic and look very similar to what John Deere used to have
in their hydraulic reversers in the 350 crawlers. I know in the Deere machines, the clutches were made by Twin Disk Inc.

My tractor is missing the piston-type hydraulic accumulator. It seems to have been previously removed. It is not needed for things to work.
It is just there to soften engagement. I suspect it was removed because the rubber hose to it blew in the past? There are two rubber
hydraulic hoses to this setup and neither can be replaced without splitting the tractor. Well, maybe if they were cut off and new hoses
were made with swivel ends there might be a way to do it without splitting.

The round side-plate on the "passenger side" that has the hydraulic dipstick is OEM but modified for this kit. The dealer would of drilled
it and added a hydraulic suction tube.

The round side-plate on the "driver's side" is completely new and comes with the kit. It carries the OEM type mechanical PTO lever, along
with a second "live PTO" lever that operates a hydraulic control valve. That valve is built into the cover. It is bare-bones simple. Just a
piton and a spring. No soft seals inside. When you put the live PTO lever into "engage" it puts pressure on the spring and piston an
raised hydraulic pressure that locks up the clutches.

I guess that is about all the info I can come up with. If someone on this forum has a source for new clutch disks that do not cost a small
fortune, I'd like to know about it. When I last worked at a John Deere dealership in 1991, those disks were near $40 each!!

One last comment. When I first posted about this tractor having slipping problems, one person said I ought to stop asking questions and
just go to work on the tractor instead. I am glad I asked. I have been working on tractors for 50 years but before this - had no idea Ford
ever offered such an option. If I had known then, what I know now - I could of fixed the tractor without splitting it. It appears that all
I would of had to do is remove the PTO hydraulic pump and this clutch pack would of mechanically engaged into full lockup and stayed that
way. Now I know. I have to say it is kind of an ingenious setup. Mine was slipping with regular oil in it (as far as I know). When I
changed the oil to ATF, it got worse. Likely due to the friction modifiers and worn clutches?
cvphoto9321.jpg

cvphoto9322.jpg

cvphoto9323.jpg

cvphoto9324.jpg

cvphoto9325.jpg

cvphoto9326.jpg

cvphoto9327.jpg

The clutch discs are certainly not unique to the application.

That said, you may well need to match-up discs intended for other applications to find suitable replacements. I would start with discs intended for use in early 50s vintage cars. Is such prove too small, try Allison military transmissions of Korean War vintage.

Dean

They look an awful lot like the Live PTO discs/and housing for the Ford 5000. Bern might be able to steer yo in the right direction.

Maybe something like this from early Fordomatic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mercury-Small-Case-Automatic-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-1951-1967/182255533661?hash=item2a6f46be5d:g:z9cAAOSwIgNXvffC

Here is a part # for disks, not necessarily your disk C2AZ7B164-A. The basic part # is 7B164-A or 7B164A. Prefix is what gets you different disk for different years.
So C2AZ prefix was first used in 1962. So your prefix originally maybe was was B0, B1,B2,etc.
If you could find the original part number it would help. This is all guess work ,very little facts.

If you have the right material, it should be a snap to make them using Laser or Wire EDM.
Did they have some friction coating, or all bare? Remember, Model T's used a similar clutch, and so did the 1928 Model A's.

Those plates look suspiciously like old Cruise-O-Matic plates from an old Ford.

As previously stated, you might get lucky at a local transmission shop. Most clutch plates for automotive transmissions run $5.00 or less each. Most steel plates can be re-used if they are not all scored up or warped.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back