Fordson Major loader

Does anyone know what loader/s will fit on my 1955 major, thanks
IMG_20240326_201425307.jpg

IMG_20240326_201510378.jpg

FWIW, here's my Power Major, a few years newer. I was thinking it was a Sherman loader, it may be Davis or a Midwest, I wish I knew for sure. The previous owner (now deceased) fitted the dual bucket cylinders.

I have a Sherman loader off a Fordson Major. It was built by Johnson Hydraulics in Minneapolis. Heavily built.

Sherman, Superior and Du All all made loaders that fit the Majors, but it's too far back in my memory bank to remember model numbers.

Just about any loader will fit. Loaders are extremely easy to adapt from one tractor to another because there was no herbicide at the time that your major was built. Tractors were built for quick mount dismount of cultivators. The holes used for cultivator mount are used for loader mount.

A loaded question that gets asked frequently.No simple answer. Only a select few will be a direct bolt on. However there are MANY that can be made to fit with little modification.There were of dozens of loader manufacturers. Most made a loader/kit that would fit your tractor. Finding such might be difficult as few were probably made.Easiest is to find something close and make it fit.

A loaded question that gets asked frequently.No simple answer. Only a select few will be a direct bolt on. However there are MANY that can be made to fit with little modification.There were of dozens of loader manufacturers. Most made a loader/kit that would fit your tractor. Finding such might be difficult as few were probably made.Easiest is to find something close and make it fit.
On top of that most people selling an old loader have no idea what they have or what it fits. As I said in the other thread the only way to be sure is if the seller removed it from the exact tractor you want to install it on. Anything else will require some amount of modification.

On top of that most people selling an old loader have no idea what they have or what it fits. As I said in the other thread the only way to be sure is if the seller removed it from the exact tractor you want to install it on. Anything else will require some amount of modification.
To add to what you say, if it requires any mounting brackets see that that those were removed from the tractor and kept with the loader.

To add to what you say, if it requires any mounting brackets see that that those were removed from the tractor and kept with the loader.
True! A Ford 8600 was sold at the spring auction auction with the loader brackets left on.So now the loader is basicly worthless.

Which after looking for a few months for an exact fit you eventually realize that the modification is incidental. I have sold two loaders that went onto very different tractors in my neighborhood. Both were adapted each time in just a few days and working

Hello All
I have found a DU AL 345 loader and wondered if it would fit my Fordson any ideas? Also it comes with a lift cyclinder rebuild kit, is this a big job to do? Thanks

I did some searching and found references to 345s being mounted on 560 and 460 Farmalls. So depending on the adapters for attaching to the rear axles housings(length), if you are handy with a torch and welder, you should be able to adapt it. You will probably have to make front mounting brackets also. I don't remember the Du All cylinders being particularly difficult to repack, if you have the tools and skills.

Hello All
I have found a DU AL 345 loader and wondered if it would fit my Fordson any ideas? Also it comes with a lift cyclinder rebuild kit, is this a big job to do? Thanks
If I was looking to mount a loader on my tractor I would be measuring its approximate fit for my tractor. Here is a photo of a 345. The loader would need mounted so the red line on the right would be placed so you could still get on and off the tractor the more it is placed towards the rear the better. Then measure from that point to the front of the tractor. If this would place the front cross piece below the left line any more than a foot and a half in front of the tractor grill than in my opinion that loader is to big for your tractor. Placing the load the loader lifts and carries to far in front of the front axle greatly reduces the load lifting capabilities of the loader in regards to weight transfer from the back of the tractor and increases the load placed on the front axle.

Attachments

• IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Hello All
Was it removed from a Fordson Major? If not, and you're not equipped to perform the metal fabrication to make it fit, then the answer is no.

Rebuilding the hydraulic cylinder can be a big job, depending on the design of the cylinder. Some cylinders are held together with long rods. Those are easy. Others have the cap screwed on. Those can be difficult because they require large amounts of torque to unscrew the cap, so you need a giant vise bolted to a heavy bench, large wrenches, and possibly a torch to heat the cylinder. There are other types of cylinders as well which have varying levels of difficulty.

Was it removed from a Fordson Major? If not, and you're not equipped to perform the metal fabrication to make it fit, then the answer is no.

Rebuilding the hydraulic cylinder can be a big job, depending on the design of the cylinder. Some cylinders are held together with long rods. Those are easy. Others have the cap screwed on. Those can be difficult because they require large amounts of torque to unscrew the cap, so you need a giant vise bolted to a heavy bench, large wrenches, and possibly a torch to heat the cylinder. There are other types of cylinders as well which have varying levels of difficulty.
Thanks for all the advice.

If I was looking to mount a loader on my tractor I would be measuring its approximate fit for my tractor. Here is a photo of a 345. The loader would need mounted so the red line on the right would be placed so you could still get on and off the tractor the more it is placed towards the rear the better. Then measure from that point to the front of the tractor. If this would place the front cross piece below the left line any more than a foot and a half in front of the tractor grill than in my opinion that loader is to big for your tractor. Placing the load the loader lifts and carries to far in front of the front axle greatly reduces the load lifting capabilities of the loader in regards to weight transfer from the back of the tractor and increases the load placed on the front axle.
Thank you for this information much appreciated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back