Fordson Super Major.

EastMoonta53

New User
Hello all, this my first post. Recently had a leaking seal on the front in loader ram repaired. I have reinstalled the ram and reconnected the hoses, but the hydraulics will not lift the front in loader now. The rear hydraulics where not working when I bought the tractor. I have included a couple of photos of the controls and ram I reinstalled.
I have recently changed the Hydraulic oil.
regards Stephen.
Hyraulics 3.jpg
Hrdraulics 2.jpg
Hydraulics 1.jpg

Attachments

• 1710057178352.jpeg
    1710057178352.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 1710057205517.jpeg
    1710057205517.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
IF there is a filter or screen was it cleaned /changed at this time or no? IF not it might be your problem the oil flows to slow to let the pump prime again. IF was then probably need to ad a bit of air pressure to it so the oil gets to the pump to prime. Otherwise can't say on this. How cold and how thick is the oil that will affect priming also.

No the filter screen was not cleaned or replaced.
I take it that's what I could feel above the drain plug.
The main return hose is screwed into the filler cap. So not easy to pump air through the filler cap as is not airtight.
Is there any other place that some air could be pumped into the circuit,
thanks Stephen.

The temperature here is mostly above 25 degrees so the oil viscosity should not be a problem.
Welcome to the forums.

1. Is this a tractor you have owned for a time, or one you just purchased?

2. Was the loader on the tractor and working before you had the leaking cylinder repaired?

3. Unhooking two hoses from the leaking cylinder and replacing them when the repaired cylinder was installed, should not have changed anything. Did you do other work to the hydraulic system at the time?

4. Does the loader use a front (engine crank driven) pump or is it tied into the tractor's internal hydraulics which would power the rear hydraulics?

5. Did this tractor have a backhoe on it as well as a loader?

You may need to make a sketch of your hydraulic lines to and from the loader valve so where both ends are connected can be seen.

Back away a bit and take/post a couple pictures of the entire tractor and loader.

download8.jpg
download5.jpg
download10.jpg

download4.jpg
Welcome to the forums.

1. Is this a tractor you have owned for a time, or one you just purchased?

2. Was the loader on the tractor and working before you had the leaking cylinder repaired?

3. Unhooking two hoses from the leaking cylinder and replacing them when the repaired cylinder was installed, should not have changed anything. Did you do other work to the hydraulic system at the time?

4. Does the loader use a front (engine crank driven) pump or is it tied into the tractor's internal hydraulics which would power the reaP

You may need to make a sketch of your hydraulic lines to and from the loader valve so where both ends are connected can be seen.

Back away a bit and take/post a couple pictures of the entire tractor and loader.
Bought the tractor about 12 months ago, to this time I have only used the front in loader which was working well until I took off the ram. The previous owner said that the rear hydraulics where not working. The setup with the lever directly behind the gear stick has a plate which says MOORE 2895, to this time I have been unable to find any information or a diagram of this setup so I have no idea how this unit works. I have not done any other work to the tractor hydraulics other than to drain the old fluid out and refill it with the prescribed 20W-40. The loader uses the tractor's internal hydraulics which would power the rear hydraulics? No, the tractor was never fitted with a back hoe. Let me know if you need more diagrams of the hydraulic setup, regards Stephen.
download2.jpg

Attachments

• 1710119696330.png
    1710119696330.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Are you in Australia? Moore tends to indicate a Malcolm Moore valve and loader. The valve itself is a diverter valve, it takes the oil from the main pump to lift cylinder feed internally. Some of the valves used did not have the porting to feed the hydraulics on the tractor, unlike the proper Fordson Valve but these are like hens teeth. Seen a lot of the valves like in your picture over there.

The oil flow is possibly not going anywhere near the tractor internal systems so your problem could be in the valve itself, the "O" ring on the pipe from the pump to the top cover or from the pump itself. Perhaps the easiet method of trouble shooting would be to remove the Moore valve and put an original Auxiliary Service Chest on in its place, you might be able to borrow one to try, one from any Super Major or Fordson Dexta will fit. This would eliminate pump and any internal faults.

Alternately you could pay my airfare and I would happily come over and bring my spare ASC valve, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:, or you could contact the Fordson Club at Mandurang South who may be able to advise you.

There is a specific Fordson Forum a bit further down the list which may be able to help as well.

Hello Majorman.
I am indeed in Australia. East Moonta South Australia (which is called Little Cornwell) it was one of the richest copper mines in the world back in about 1870.Thank you very much for the information unfortunately most of it went straight over the top of my head as I am very unfamiliar with the nomenclature relating hydraulic circuits, however I have a comprehensive manual to look up your suggestions. There is a bed here for if you can make to Australia sometime, regards Stephen.

Hello Majorman.
I am indeed in Australia. East Moonta South Australia (which is called Little Cornwell) it was one of the richest copper mines in the world back in about 1870.Thank you very much for the information unfortunately most of it went straight over the top of my head as I am very unfamiliar with the nomenclature relating hydraulic circuits, however I have a comprehensive manual to look up your suggestions. There is a bed here for if you can make to Australia sometime, regards Stephen.
Hi Stephen, do not think we have visited East Moonta but we have very good friends in Mount Gambia and have stayed there for some time on our trips. Some of the pictures I post are from scrap yards and tractor visits in that area. We had a very good time in Wilpena Pound Glamping site in the Flinders and visited the old copper mine in Berry.

Many of my ancestors and fairly close cousins emigrated in the 1840's and 1850's and seemed to populate the whole of the Southern region from Perth to Sydney and Melbourne. Our favourite cities are Melbourne and Adelaide.

Back to the tractor, it is pretty simple to remove that valve and replace it with an ASC plate for a trial, not sure If I have any contacts that could help close to you, but I will ask my friend in Mount Gambia and drop a line to Dawn and Barry at Mandurang South. Hope someone can help.

Just off the top of my head, you have got the PTO in gear, that drives the hydraulic pump?

Bought the tractor about 12 months ago, to this time I have only used the front in loader which was working well until I took off the ram. The previous owner said that the rear hydraulics where not working. The setup with the lever directly behind the gear stick has a plate which says MOORE 2895, to this time I have been unable to find any information or a diagram of this setup so I have no idea how this unit works. I have not done any other work to the tractor hydraulics other than to drain the old fluid out and refill it with the prescribed 20W-40. The loader uses the tractor's internal hydraulics which would power the rear hydraulics? No, the tractor was never fitted with a back hoe. Let me know if you need more diagrams of the hydraulic setup, regards Stephen.View attachment 62061
I see Majorman has joined in, so you now have the aid of one who is much better suited than I am to aid you with your tractor issues.

Best regards,
Jim

Hi Stephen, do not think we have visited East Moonta but we have very good friends in Mount Gambia and have stayed there for some time on our trips. Some of the pictures I post are from scrap yards and tractor visits in that area. We had a very good time in Wilpena Pound Glamping site in the Flinders and visited the old copper mine in Berry.

Many of my ancestors and fairly close cousins emigrated in the 1840's and 1850's and seemed to populate the whole of the Southern region from Perth to Sydney and Melbourne. Our favourite cities are Melbourne and Adelaide.

Back to the tractor, it is pretty simple to remove that valve and replace it with an ASC plate for a trial, not sure If I have any contacts that could help close to you, but I will ask my friend in Mount Gambia and drop a line to Dawn and Barry at Mandurang South. Hope someone can help.

Just off the top of my head, you have got the PTO in gear, that drives the hydraulic pump?
Thanks Brian. I grew up in Warrnambool in Victoria so Know Mount Gambier quite well. Yes, Melbourne is great place to visit great food. What is an ASC plate? Thanks for helping me out bit. If I send you a photo of the Moore set up, could you kindly identify what each component does or have you access to as schematic diagram.
1710200134184.png
1710200134184.png

Thanks Brian. I grew up in Warrnambool in Victoria so Know Mount Gambier quite well. Yes, Melbourne is great place to visit great food. What is an ASC plate? Thanks for helping me out bit. If I send you a photo of the Moore set up, could you kindly identify what each component does or have you access to as schematic diagram.View attachment 62199View attachment 62199
HPIM1790-1.jpg
The ASSC plate is what was on there before the Moore valve and is a simple plate to allow you to fit a trailer or use a single acting loader controlled by the main hydraulic lever. Just borrowing one and trying it will tell you if the problem is in the tractor or valve. I have messaged my friend who lives just outside Mount Gambia and also the secretary of the Fordson Club in Australia to see if there is anyone local to you who may be able to help. I am due in hospital for an operation in the next month so will be unable to fly out for at least twelve weeks!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Drop me an e-mail or a PM on here and I will send you contact details when I get the information.

Hello Brian
Sorry I don't know where to open your PM on this Websight. My email address is [email protected].
Due know what the two position on the Moore Valve are for?
I have taken it to pieces. It has a tension screw assembly behind the lever attached to a spring mechanism which allows the lever to be moved in two positions either forward or backward. Not sure if this pertains to the front in loader or controls the oil flow to the hydraulics, regards Stephen.

The PM should be in a little box in the top banner of the Home page, next to your user name. Just click and it will open with your messages.
Have heard back from the Club Treasurer and there is no one in your area , apart from the other person I contacted who has not replied yet.

Regarding the valve, I have no experience of the Moore valve but can explain how it works, the two positions are because it is a valve for a double acting cylinder, one that both pushes and pulls. The oil comes out of one port when the lever is moved and returns through the other. When the lever goes the other way, the oil flow is reversed and the return line becomes the pressure line and the pressure line becomes the return. Be careful how you handle the parts as the valve works on around 2000 psi and any damage like a burr or scratch will make the valve scrap.

Do you use the valve to work the loader?

Whilst you have the valve off, you have a flat area where it fits on the top of the lift. Pull the engine stop and operate the starter, oiul should come out of one of the holes on the left side of the plate (if you are looking from the front, right side from the rear). Put your thumb over the hole and see if the pressure will lift it off. This is a very basic test to see if the pump is pressurising. If not or if you see no oil, your problem is the pump or pipes in the rear axle.

There is a flow control valve in your Moore valve similar to the one in the original ASC on the Super. This can stick and give you problems as you have. You may have to find a hydraulics shop to check that out for you.

Just heard back from my other contact whilst I have been writing this, he also suggests finding a local hydraulics shop. You share a surname!

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back