Fried my battery - need a little competent help

esva 8N

1948 8N, front mount, still 6v positive ground. I freely admit to being a bit of an idiot mechanically, so I"ll save you the trouble of pointing that out! :) I"ve been lurking for a couple of years, and have gotten a wealth of knowledge that has enabled me to do alot of troubleshooting, replace my front wheel bearings, etc. So I know I"m at the right place. Don"t want to just depend on the archives this time tho!

tractor wouldn"t turn over, and I was getting a small hum from either the solenoid or starter, couldn"t tell which. I thought the easiest thing to do first was put on a new solenoid, which I did. In retrospect I perhaps put it in backwards, (because you can"t tell with the cheap chinese one I had) because I got a hell of a short, to the point where it melted the negative battery terminal and the solenoid. I"m very lucky the battery didn"t blow. Since the short didn"t happen as soon as I connected the battery cable to the solenoid, it must have happened when I pushed the starter button, with presumably the ignition switch on, but I honestly don"t remember. I wouldn"t have thought anything I did would have caused such a bad short, but obviously it did.

So at this point I"m assuming I"ve fried pretty much everything. I"ve been meaning to put on a new wiring harness for a couple of years now, so I"ll do that, and am planning on replacing everything else as well, and then testing the old parts and if still good hanging on to them. I actually had spares of most everything on hand already, so this really won"t be that bad. While I expect to be somewhat flamed for throwing parts at the problem, I honestly was planning on replacing a lot of them already, and cleaning things up, so I don"t feel bad about it. The starter was sounding shaky before, so that"s why I expected to at least have to replace the bendix at some point. I had a new gas tank waiting to be installed, so I"ll be doing that as well now that the hood"s off.

Can only work on weekends that aren"t raining, so I"ve only replaced the starter switch, starter and solenoid to this point (good Dennis Carpenter solenoid and starter). Will take down new battery this weekend.

So my questions for you guys who actually know what you"re doing:

1. Am I correct that I fried everything downstream, or would the generator, coil, VR etc maybe still be okay? The generator is the only piece for which I didn"t already have an extra on hand, so if I managed to spare the charging circuit that would be nice.
2. Just so I get a little positive reinforcement as I"m doing this, am I correct in assuming that I should at least get the starter to turn over if i jump it with my 12v car battery, even if none of the other wires to it or the solenoid are connected? Negative to the starter post and positive to tractor ground? At least then I"ll know I got the starter in correctly. (Luckily someone before me opened up the opening so it was pretty easy to get in).
3. The whole thing seems like it should be pretty straight-forward, but is there anything that you think might be a particular problem I should look out for? I have the F0-4 and the other manuals.

Thanks for your help.

you say you jump it with 12 volt batt. and if you did what you say positive ground negitive to starter post it will turn over.Try takeing the + cable to the bolt that holds the starter in for a good ground

To start with, you had a low voltage problem. You compounded it by installing the wrong solenoid or installing the correct solenoid backwards.

The solenoid is making a noise because of low voltage. That is likely caused by:

1. A weak battery (charge it & check it per tip # 49))
2. Dirty grounds/connections (remove the cables & clean the connections)
3. Bad cables or incorrect sized cables (replace them - see tip # 41)
4. Bad ground between the starter & the block. (pull the starter away from the block & clean the mating area - see tip # 36)

Get the correct solenoid for a 6v Ford tractor. Put the little terminal toward the block.

You probably haven't fried anything else.
50 Tips

Where are you located? looks like you could use some "hands on help". Maybe someone on the board is close and could help.joe

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I don't feel so bad for some of the dumb crap I've done now.

"Don't gie up. don't ever give up."

SD Ron - I"m glad I could be of help - I often think that I walk the earth solely to serve as a bad example for others! :)

Bruce, I think your #4 may have been it. The battery and cables were all new and clean 18 mos ago, and the battery still registered 6 volts when I tested it after the carnage. But in any event I"ll make sure I clean and tighten everything when I put in the new battery. I did make sure to clean the mating surfaces when I put in the new starter last week, so hopefully I"ll be good to go.

When I put the new solenoid in and this happened, I know I had the middle terminal pointing towards the block, but maybe it was one of those that was manufactured incorrectly; I"ve seen a post or two here that referenced that possiblity. The one I just put on is the good one with the ford logo on top and clearly marked BAT terminal.

Old-9, I"m on the eastern shore of virginia. If i"m still having problems after this weekend maybe I"ll put out a plea for a housecall, but I think I"ll be fine now.

Thank you all for the help - I really do appreciate it. I will report back on Monday and let you know how it went.

Larry

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back