Frozen Hydraulics on 186d

Hi, I am having trouble with my hydraulics freezing. I have cold weather here, and the last time I started up my tractor none of my hydraulics were working - powershift tranny, 3-point, or bucket. I let it warm up for 3 hours and still nothing. Last time it did this, they started to work after 1 hour of warming up. Any suggestions on helping the hydraulics warm up in the cold weather? Should I take a torch to try to warm something up? The oil was changed a couple years ago. Maybe the oil is too thick or has water in it? What is the oil weight I should use in the cold temps? I know I have to use tranny hydraulic fluid. Thanks.
-Ben

When you look down the fill hole, is the fluid level within a couple inches from the top? If you draw a sample, does it look milky?

No doubt water in fluid would cause your problem. Many have had good success with automatic transmission fluid in cold climates. Of course water in it would do the same freezing.

<QUOTE author="alan"><s>
</s>When you look down the fill hole, is the fluid level within a couple inches from the top? If you draw a sample, does it look milky?<e>
/e></QUOTE>

The fluid level is a couple inches from the top (maybe a little less). The fluid does not look white milky if that is what you mean. What would milky mean for the fluid? Thanks

Since the fluid is the right kind, right amount, and free of water, I'm puzzled because a system blockage or pump failure is rare, especially if intermittent. And it's complex, equipment-needing, and potentially dangerous to try to diagnose a hydraulic fault. But you could sniff the fluid for a burned smell, and drain some out the bottom to inspect for metal bits.

You asked how to heat it.

Move hitch lever to lower the arms all the way. Close stop valve (full clockwise). Run at 1500 RPM. Move lever to full up. Have a coffee. When the in-pipe to the pump feels hot to the hand, the fluid's as warm as it will get.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back