Fuel level in sediment bowl on 1973 F9rd 200 gas

Tom in TN

Yesterday I was bushogging an overgrown field on a hill. The engine sometimes seem to starve for fuel. If I opened the throttle more, it would recover. I noticed
that the level of fuel in the sediment bowl was sometimes full to the top of glass bowl but other times was down as much as 3/8 of an inch. One time when I looked at
it, it was down to the bottom of the bronze filter that's in the bowl.

Today, I removed the fuel line from the shut off valve on the bottom of the fuel tank and I had a really good flow of fuel out of the tank. There's no discreet filter
in the line but, of course, there's a screen in the lift pump. I haven't cleaned that screen in about 10 years because I don't know how to get it out of the tractor
short of removing the nose cone and radiator from the tractor.

So the question is, is it normal for the level of fuel in the sediment bowl to go up and down with use of the tractor?

Tom in TN

A '73 Ford 2000 gas engine tractor should have 3 or 4 fuel filters in it. The first one is a screen inside the tank up above the shut off valve. The second one is in the top of the fuel pump which is located on the front of the engine. The third filter is inside the top of the sediment bowl assembly. The fourth one, if it has it, is inside the inlet to the carburetor where the line from the sediment bowl attaches to the carb.

Yes, the level of fuel in the sediment bowl will vary but it should never go below the bottom of the filter that you noted.

Thanks Sean,

I think the filter in the tank is clear since I got a strong flow out of the tank when I removed the fuel line. I THINK that the level in the sediment bowl should be
unaffected by the bronze filter in the sediment bowl or the screen in the intake on the carburetor. That just leaves the screen in the lift pump. But if it's normal for
the fuel level in the sediment bowl to go up and down, it sounds like I'm barking up the wrong tree. I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Tom in TN

Yesterday I was bushogging an overgrown field on a hill. The engine sometimes seem to starve for fuel.

Is the "starving for fuel" happening when it is going uphill? If so, then the pump may not be pumping and it may be running on gravity. An easy test is to top off the tank and go up those same small hills. If it runs good on a full tank but not when the fuel level is lower then chances are that the pump needs attention.

Sean,

Thanks again for the reply.

It never fails going downhill. It usually fails going up hill. But sometimes fails on relatively flat land when the engine is under a heavy load due to overgrown grass
and weeds. The strange thing is the way that the engine recovers when it's failing, by opening the throttle. It would seem like that should make it worse by demanding
more fuel. And yet, the engine recovers and I can keep going. I haven't tried choking it when it's failing, I'll try that today.

Tom in TN

Definitely sounds like the pump isn't pumping like it should, either providing less pressure/flow than it should or possible not pumping at all. I would take the top off the pump to clean the screen and inspect the diaphragm. Chances are the diaphragm needs replacing, and the last time I checked they are no longer available new separately, so a new or rebuilt pump must be purchased. New pumps aren't available from New Holland either, so the part number isn't available on their web site....sucks!!

Anyway, from my parts book, the part number for the pump is F2NN9350AA and the diaphragm is C5NE9398A.

I just did a Google search on both part numbers and there are tons of aftermarket replacement pumps available in the $30.00 to $55.00 range. It looks like a lot of them are from Tisco.

Someone has a New Old Stock (NOS) diaphragm on ebay right now with a "buy it now" price of $34.95 with free shipping, but there's not much else out there that I can find for that part.

Lsson learned the hard way...keep a good check on the engine oil. Be aware of level increase, odor of gasoline in oil, feel
viscosity of oil on dip stick, watch the color for blackening. All signs of gas in oil, usually from ruptured diaphram in fuel
pump.

Thanks for that response Gabi,

I check the oil level frequently and change the oil twice a year. I actually noticed a couple of days ago that the oil looked exceptionally black so I bought a new oil filter and plan to change the oil today or tomorrow. Maybe I have a bigger problem than just the fact that it's been nearly 6 months since I changed the oil last.

My lift pump is looking more suspect all the time.

Tom in TN

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back