Gambled and lost

37 chief

I took a chance on a china starter for my JD 401B less than two years ago. It let me down last week. After some checking I found the solenoid was bad. I found a new USA made solenoid, that was an exact match to the china one. At least I have a good solenoid. I wanted the rebuild shop to rebuild my original JD starter. They don't rebuild smaller starters any more, just sell china. The guy told me they just rebuild the big dollar stuff. Stan

Do you know what was wrong with your old starter ? As long as the fields and armature are not fried bushings and brushes may just be all it needs ? I understand where they are coming from as you can buy them cheaper then fixing them ,but then you end up where you are at right now. New cheap stuff is exactly that cheap stuff.

I find most of the parts are almost as cheap as the China made junk though now days too. So where can you get good parts like we used to 30-60 years ago? Junk from NAPA is about the same as what I can get elsewhere. Last time I was in NAPA , here was a long time ago. Falling out over sending my parts back without telling me they would if I didn't pick them up in a weeks time. Could have had them picked up or paid for them when ordered so I went elsewhere and have not looked back. I don't grace they're door with my shadow now. Some parts I can get that are not bad but most of it is just plain sorry to use.

(quoted from post at 14:28:04 08/22/23) I find most of the parts are almost as cheap as the China made junk though now days too. So where can you get good parts like we used to 30-60 years ago? Junk from NAPA is about the same as what I can get elsewhere. Last time I was in NAPA , here was a long time ago. Falling out over sending my parts back without telling me they would if I didn't pick them up in a weeks time. Could have had them picked up or paid for them when ordered so I went elsewhere and have not looked back. I don't grace they're door with my shadow now. Some parts I can get that are not bad but most of it is just plain sorry to use.
believe the blame lies in two places. So called "SIR Richard Deming's Quality is Free" and the "free trade agreements" with foreign countries.

It use to be the parts guy knew more then you on repairs and mechanical knowledge, now its opposite and it feels like you have to hold their hand to get a part for something pre 2000.

China makes junky Milwaukee tools too.

I thought I had a bad china starter. It was my ignition switch, nothing wrong with the china starter.

I bought a JD 7410 a year ago in the spring. The starter soon gave out. I believe it was original, and I think it was a Nippondenso gear reduction starter. JD had no starter. Local huge auto electrical place had no parts. He couldn't find a starter right away either. I was astounded that no one had a starter for a common application. Finally he remembered another vendor, and found one. Probably about the same thing I could have found on the internet. Probably Chinese. The original was a difficult installation as there was one fastener on the backside which had to be a stud which only had room for a jam nut, which had to be worked on/off with the starter. The replacement was configured enough differently that it was a simpler installation, and would accept all capscrews. But that changed enough else that getting the cables and hood support to fit was a job!

I would not touch an aftermarket starter. Usually a bum old starter only needs the armature cleaned up, new bearings and maybe a bendix. There are plenty of good starter shops who will do an honest job and charge you fairly.

I learned a long time ago that it is better to have your starter,alternator,or generator rebuilt than swapped out. Sadly, in my area starter/alternator/generator repair shops are disappearing. I had to buy a china made starter for my '51 8N because the armature was fubar and no repair shop was available. I was able to save the body and end plates. the brush holders on the cheapo starter didn't look too sturdy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back