Garden tractors CAN'T PLOW at local show !!

onc421

New User
I recently attended a general membership meeting for our local antique engine and tractor club. This coming weekend is our first working show at the new showgrounds. Our show is a working show to include picking corn and beans, plowing, sawmill, threshing, stationary demonstrations, corn shelling, and other events. Our club president went over the grounds layout so everybody has a better idea, but he left out one item so a member asked the question of where are the garden tractors going to be able to plow? There was a pause and then the club president responded that the garden tractors would not be allowed to plow. Then the club members broke loose and one even stormed out of the building. The members present were informed that the club board members made the decision to not have garden tractor plowing. We were told that it doesn't fit in with the antique farming theme and it was too much of a safety risk. No input was requested from the membership prior to this decision.

I have heard many members say over the last few years that the club needs younger members to carry things on. Young members like to have fun and go out and show off their toys. Many of them start with garden tractors and now they won't get the opportunity to work them. A couple of the more vocal members were parents supporting their childs interest in this hobby.

The club has only had garden tractors at the show for about 5 years now and we were able to plow at the old showgrounds even though the ground was tough as nails. That is where the safety issue came from because members would have to stand on the one bottom to get it in. The ground we have now is pretty sandy and there shouldn't be a problem digging in.

So here is the question. Am I and others wrong in our thinking that antique garden tractors and plowing with them has their place at a working antique tractor show or does it seem that we have a board looking out for THEIR own interest and doing what THEY want?

I'm curious to know what you all think. Thank You.

I find it rather odd that they cite safety concerns as justification for canceling garden tractor plowing. Every steam and antique tractor show I've gone to has demonstrations of farm machinery that dates back to the early part of the last century and I shudder when I watch a several saws running with no safety guards on the blades. On top of that, many of these machines are powered by long flat belts with no guards on them either.

Whether it's a planing machine, shingle maker, log splitter, thresher, combine or other antique piece of machinery, not one of them would meet OSHA's current standards. The liability issues with that equipment is every bit as high, if not higher, than with a bunch of garden tractors pulling a 10" single-bottom plow. I think that there's something going on here that those cowards in charge of the show are keeping hidden.

There's an agenda afoot and the membership needs to confront these guys and get this sorted out. Let us know how this shakes out.

onc421:

You are not off base here.

Usually, garden tractor plow day events have the consent of the Land Owner, usually a farm somewhere. Maybe the Land Owner of this show won't give consent. Thus, the Club is at the mercy of the property owner. Just some thoughts.

What state are you in? There are several plow days for garden tractors in the midwest. I have aslo seen big shows that had a part of the plow field set aside for garden tractors and part for farm tractors divided by tractor age groups. I have seen big clubs sink because some members like red tractors, some like green, and neither wants the other around. These shows should be for all brands and sizes, unless it is a specific club from the start, like the Two Cylinder club.

The general concensus has always been that anything over 30 years old could be considered "antique". I"m sure there are lots of garden tractors that fit that mold. It doesn"t have to be on steel anymore, to be called vintage.

There is a plow day in Tipton Indiana for IH only garden tractors and Farmall Cubs this coming Saturday (Sept 18th) and one coming up in north central Ohio the first Saturday in October. Tipton is geared toward farmall cubs and garden tractors and Ohio is nothing but garden tractors. Ohio plow day is open to all brands as well. Its unfortunate that they feel that way, but they are not alone. Many of the farm size tractor clubs seem to look down on the gt guys. Many of us younger guys nolonger live on the farm and now live in suburbia and have no place to keep a farm tractor antique or otherwise. Older garden tractors is the perfect option, they can be hauled in a small pickup truck bed or on a trailer behind most any vehicle, stored in the back yard shed or back of the garage. They also have the effect of making neighbors seek your help when thier box store machine cant handle what they need done! Cheers Mike and Michele T

this sounds like the show coming up this weekend in IL. I think the name last yr was Atkinson. This yr they changed the name they use for what appeared to be nearly 50yrs. I attended it last yr and thought it a poor show to display at, but a good one to watch machines work the fields. Seems like the garden tractors where at least half the show in numbers. I had heard that the guy running this show has a big ego, so im not surprised to see this happening. Maybe if this is the same show, some people will go back the the towns site and restart at the old place. Personally there new site is out in the middle of no place, not a town with in several miles.I dont see people really flocking out there, maybe im wrong, but yet again i been to a lot of shows and have watched them go down.

OldTuck, you hit the nail on the head, on ALL counts. Just dropped off the garden tractors. We'll see how things go. The display area is filling up though. I'll take the row crops and plow down tomorrow. I've got the plow on the garden tractor so we'll see if I get to drop it in. Unfortuneately, I don't have a lot of free time so it is hard to get to plow days.

I know rules vary from State to State, In Massachusetts, a big liability policy is needed.
The cost is moderate, but greatly raises the cost of show, and means more paperwork.

I agree with the poster who commented about old steam engines, and open belts being OK, plowing isn't ?

I am thankful for the club here, they welcome GTs in all their competitions. Heck they even set aside time for GTs to have a slow race. We would have plowed with them this year but it rained so I didn't go.

I am an old farm kid turned city, and I don't have the room for big tractors so I enjoy my JD 110 & 112, and recent trade for a Case 180.

I am hoping we can form a GT Club here in the TX Panhandle.

Well, the board agreed to let us plow. We had to share the same stretch of bean field as the draft horse teams, but it seemed to work out pretty well. We split the stretch in half with a small break between them. We just had to be mindful of where the teams were so we didn"t get in their way. We managed to plow our entire area in short order and a couple of guys got it disced so we can do it again tomorrow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back