generac whole house gen

Dale2

Can anyone tell me how the whole house generac model 16kw generator transfer switch works. The generator produces power but does not transfer to the house when needed.
Thanks to all
Dale

You ask Can anyone tell me how the whole house generac model 16kw generator transfer switch works

I cant absent the complete wiring diagram, maybe some other kind gentleman here who has the time will research it find the diagram and answer your question ????????? He would need the make model and serial number of your unit

Typical Automatic (is yours manual or auto) Transfer Switches function by sensing voltage on the utility but if its not present after the genset starts stabilizes and produces voltage it will initiate the transfer so the home js powered by the genset and the utility is locked out WELL DUH

Simple problems may be a bad loose or resistive wiring connection followed by more serious control circuit board problem I HAVE NO IDEA FROM HERE........

If the utility fails the switch (if auto) still wouldnt transfer until such time the genset starts and voltage is adequate and stabilized DO YOU KNOW IF THE GENSET IS FUNCTIONING PRODUCING ADEQUATE POWER ???

Theres just too many unknowns and variables for me to proceed, sorry can you contact tech support ?? or the installer ?? Check all the wiring and connections, another well duh lol

John T

Does the genset start and run when grid power is interrupted?

If yes, how long have you waited for the genset to take over?(there is a delay involved so the gen doesn't take over during a short outage)

If no, there is a problem with the transfer switch grid sense.

You can usually manually test the transfer with a breaker on the transfer switch which will isolate you from the grid, and power the home from the gen. Try that manual transfer and advise.

Do have the Owner's Manual? Surely there must be some troubleshooting info related to indicator lights and likely a trouble code display if fairly new?

There is a switch on it somewhere which disconnects power from the utility and connects the power from the generator. I think either the switch is malfunctioning or something is wired wrong. Who did the installation?

Far too little info for a remote diagnosis.

- Model number of generator and transfer switch?

- You say the generator produces power, it that from a manual start or automatic start from grid loss?

- Did it work properly previously?

I will note that these newer home standby generator packages are a bit different from the traditional generator and transfer switch in that the transfer switch unit has little or no electronics in it and all the control brains are in the generator unit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back