Good/bad of a Dewalt generator

old

Says 8125 starting and 6500 running. Bomgaar's has it on sale for $969.99 till the 24th. So are they any good?? I know it is not big enough to power the whole house but it would get me by if/when needed

I noticed that in the ad but not sure about it other then what the ad said that is why I asked about it here

Wonder if generac even makes the engine?

All I remeber is what our member who has passed said about Generac parts and service.

I run furnace a refer and freezer on 3500 watts.

6500 run with 8k surge is pretty good. I have an old TroyBilt 5500/6500 that runs everything we need. All electric house with two 3ton geo thermal heat pumps. It WILL NOT start even one of them with everything else turned off. It tries but the heat pump senses the brown-out situation and shuts down. We have a wood burner if we need heat.

I think 6500/8125 would start one of my heat pumps if nothing else was running.

I might have to check if Bomgaar's does a price match then. Nearest TSC is about 30 mile from me but the savings would be worth it

6500 running figures out at 27 amps . Just to be on the safe side , try to keep the current at at most 24-25 amp .

Installing this unit on our various central air/heat pump compressors has reduced light dimming .
One example is the water furnace compressor which is six ton . Measuring with a Fluke clamp on indicated 167 inrush current to start . After the hard start installation , reduced to 98-99 amp and for a shorter duration .

mvphoto112370.jpg

mvphoto112371.jpg

6500 running figures out at 27 amps . Just to be on the safe side , try to keep the current at at most 24-25 amp .

Installing this unit on our various central air/heat pump compressors has reduced light dimming .
One example is the water furnace compressor which is six ton . Measuring with a Fluke clamp on indicated 167 inrush current to start . After the hard start installation , reduced to 98-99 amp and for a shorter duration .

mvphoto112370.jpg

mvphoto112371.jpg

Not to disparage the dead, but I always just assumed he had his own personal vendetta against Generac. Since he was in the business as an independent repairing generators, Generac probably did not cooperate on parts and technical information, and rightfully so, in order to protect their own dealers.

I ran into some of the same years ago in the boat and outboard motor repair business.

Problem with that is I don't know how to do anything with TSC on line so I don't know how to go about ordering it.

We got through a 31-hour power outage with our 2200 Watt Coleman, I ran the fridge, freezer, coffee pot, and a few other things, but not all at once. I can't run the well pump, it's 240 volts, but we have a lake full of water!

Why not just find a PTO unit and run they run well and are usually in the 10-30,000 range would run the whole place with it. or go with a protable welder and forget about all those generators. That is what I have it is i believe 8000 continuous will run the whole house if I don't start everything at once. I start the fridge then a freezer and so on till it has all cycled and is on. we curb the lights since they are not all needed at once. Or we don't bake at that time just use the top of the stove. It is not like the house is on the companies power supply but don't have to run around turning things on and off to run things and keep froze in the freezer.

Old,
I have two 3500 watt RV champion generators.
June 29th we had a bad storm that knocked out the electricity in 4 counties. Over 1100 power poles down.
I ran two places on my generators for 5 days. I used 5 gallons of gas a day.

My RV generator has a 30 amp 120v outlet.

It's not the total watts that counts.

Most generators split their watts in half and you are lucky to have 20 amp 120v outlets.

Your biggest load is the starting amps on your well pump.

So is your well 120v or 220v?

Both my wells are 120v so I need 30 amps at one outlet because the starting amps are close to 50 amps.

Refrigerators and freezers draw a few amps to run, more to start.

So how are you planning to wire in your generator?
I'm happy using 12g extension cords.

You may consider a transfer switch and direct wire to your load center. If that's the case look for how many amps your 220v outlet puts out. You may want 30 amps at one 220v outlet = 6600 watts.

A 6600 watt generator may use 10 gallons of gas a day running 24/7. You may want to invest in 5 gallon gas cans.

Hope this helps.

I know nothing about the Dewalt generator.

I don't think a 6600 watt generator is big enough for your heat pump.

My neighbor has a Generac that runs his house.

Neighbors over 500 feet away could hear his generator inside their houses.

I couldn't imagine sleeping next to a Generac,

Lowe's has the same Generac GP 6500-Watt generator for $799.

Why would you want to pay $169 more for DeWalt paint and stickers?

I think you will find that for emergency use that size generator is about optimal. You need something big enough to start and run the water pump and power a furnace. It can be interesting to take your monthly electric bill and divide by 720. This will give you a rough idea of your average hourly demand. A non-inverter generator running lightly loaded will burn a lot of fuel and the larger the generator the higher the fuel consumption.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back