Generator Battery Charger?

(quoted from post at 19:20:42 01/08/23) We rely on your information. The link is to batteries that match your (quoted) part#. We are not looking at it. We cannot see through your eyes. We only do this because we like to help. Remember you paid nothing for the information. If I could not find a battery at all. I would remanufacture the mount so one would fit. Most of us might just do that anyway. Jim
bats

Sounds easy, right? The current mount is welded to the frame. I don't have a cutting torch or a welder to fabricate anything.

The space where the battery is in will not accommodate any of those bigger batteries even if that current battery mount was not there. It's only a certain size hole and the bigger size batteries simply will not fit in there.

Guys...I've been on these forums for many many years, especially the 8N and the Massey Ferguson forums. I have gotten a massive amount of good advice over 20 or so years of having tractors and I appreciate all of it. Believe it or not I even give some advice. Even I have learned and experienced a good amount of knowledge over the years. Please don't think I don't appreciate it.

.................. it sure isn't feeling that way..................... ( Is that perfectly clear???)

This post was edited by Scott 730 on 01/08/2023 at 08:46 pm.

(quoted from post at 21:44:53 01/08/23)
Guys...I've been on these forums for many many years, especially the 8N and the Massey Ferguson forums. I have gotten a massive amount of good advice over 20 or so years of having tractors and I appreciate all of it. Believe it or not I even give some advice. Even I have learned and experienced a good amount of knowledge over the years. Please don't think I don't appreciate it.

.................. it sure isn't feeling that way..................... ( Is that perfectly clear???)

This post was edited by Scott 730 on 01/08/2023 at 08:46 pm.

OK, think what you want. I said thank you guys, take it or not.

Are you trying to keep a battery charger on your tractor? Are you trying to get a battery to fit on your tractor? A 6V battery should be
the GRP 1 style and a 12V unit should the GRP 25 or 35 unit, both all are AG style. You do not want a trickle charger. You do want a FLOAT
CHARGER like the DELTRAN BATTERY CHARGER JR (6V); $30 at Wally World. A trickle charger can destroy a battery if left unattended if it
overcharges and boils out the electorlyte. Whent that happens, you just can't add more electrolyte; it doesn't work that way. The battery
is junk at that point and will never hold a charge. A float charger will keep the battery at full charge under load when attached and
tractor is at idle. You need a full charge udner load to start ignition, spin the starter, and run the machine. Kn0w how a batrey
functions. Specific Gravity is important. An Hydrometer can test it. Your local starter/gen/alt shop has a special test machine to test a
battery - use it -it's free usually. Simply testing VDC with a VOM isn't going to tell you if the AMPS are holding. You also need to invest
in a good brand of battery, and good, correct battery cables. A 6V battery requires HD, thick as your thumb battery cables, not like the
smaller diameter ones used on your truck 12V battery. Finally, whether 6V using a GEN or 12V and with an ALT, you MUST have a fan belt
tension device atteched otherwise you will NEVER charge the battery. Here is the skinny...

BATTERY INFO & CHARGING:

ALL batteries are not created equal. Most bargain-basement units sold have poor lifespans, two years on average, so you might think buying
a $90 part is a good choice, you will be buying another and another a few years later. Best to invest in a good brand like INTERSTATE,
DEKA, EAST-PENN, DURACELL, or EXIDE. If your basic garage trickle charger is left unattended, it can boil out the electrolyte and render
it junk. A basic trickle charger can't fix a depleted battery. Research Specific Gravity. Get battery tested at your trusty local shop
under load on their machine. You need a good, strong, fully charged battery to:

1. Spin the starter
2. Engage the Bendix
3. Provide voltage to the coil.

As the battery gets weaker, the first thing to fail is your spark. The more current you use to spin the starter, the less you have for the
ignition. If your starter motor pulls the battery down much below 5.2 volts (ref: 6-volt battery) turning over is almost a futile effort. 4
Volts is an almost dead unit. It doesn't really matter much if the battery is fully charged until you test it correctly. Simply
connecting your trickle charger to the battery won't do anything if it is dead. Just because you have a 6V battery does not mean that your
system is wired correctly for the 6V/POS GRN setup. Ditto if a 12V setup as well. One item that is also the usual suspect for non-
starting/non-charging is the lack of a fan belt tensioning bracket whether if using 6V and a GEN or 12V and an ALT.

When your vehicle sets idle for more than a week, the battery will start to deplete the lead plates and you lose specific gravity. You can
use a HYDROMETER to test Specific Gravity see your OEM Owners Manual. They sell cheap little hand ones at many local auto parts outlets
and are usually right on the counter. It resembles a large hypodermic needle and has about a half dozen small colored balls in a solution
of Acetone in it. The included chart will tell you how to read the floating balls. A true battery testing unit will give you better
results as well as telling if the battery is good or bad. Take to a shop.

The worse thing for battery life is the constant draining and recharging on it. The best solution is to invest in a good float charger
like the DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER JR (for 6V). Keep it connected when tractor is idle so the battery maintains a constant full charge and is
ready to go when needed. Never just start taking parts off willy-willy and slapping new ones on. Always perform true root cause problem
solving methods.

99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring regardless if 6V or 12V. Lack of the GEN or ALT fan belt tensioner is often
the root cause of a weak or dead battery - without tension, you will never charge the battery. Once all is right with the world, best to
invest in a good float charger like the DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER JR [6V] , $30 avg.

CHARGING BATTERY & SPECIFIC GRAVITY:
YtbbZebh.jpg
AR8SoLCh.jpg

BATTERY TENDER JR (6V) BY DELTRAN:
L6eHxEgh.jpg
ifHyzGdh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Try asking at a motor cycle shop Carryc . There must be hundreds of different sized battery compartments in thousands of different model cycles . There is sure to be one on hand that fits . As long as the voltage is the same you can get away with a few less or more amp hours , not absolutely critical for a starting battery .

> By the way, my battery measurements are as follows.
> width = 6
> Height = 5 1/4
> depth = 3 3/8

OK, I looked at the Yuasa catalog and found the Yuasa YB9L batteries (YB9L-A2/YB9L-B) are fairly close: 5-5/16 L x 3 W x 5-1/2 H. You should be able to cross-reference the Yuasa number to other brands.

Look at motorcycle batteries they will be small enough to fit in the location it has. Just have to give the measurements to the guy at the counter he can get you one that will fit. The numbers you gave would be the voltage and output of the battery and possibly the part number for it. Or just take your old battery in to compare to others.

(quoted from post at 06:56:21 01/09/23) Look at motorcycle batteries they will be small enough to fit in the location it has.

That's exactly what it is, a motorcycle battery.

Also, it's unreasonable to expect that a battery that's been sitting for 2 years will...

A. Still have a usable charge on it.
B. Take a charge at all.

To circle back around to the original question, anything called a "Battery Maintainer" will keep the battery charged once you get a good battery there.

For a regular charge, a "10 hour rate" is what seems to stick in my mind. That battery is 14Ah, which means its designed to supply 14 Amps for 1 hour. Divide the 14Ah rating by 10 to get your 10 hour rate. So any charger on the 2 Amps setting will be "close enough."

(quoted from post at 07:48:37 01/09/23) Here is a list of 12volt batteries from small to large.
Just pick the size that fits.
Batteries by size

Thanks, that is a great information source. Unfortunately, every battery with NB (nut and bolt) terminals is one of those 7.13" wide batteries.

You wouldn't believe how much time I've spent sitting in front of my computer looking at batteries and sizes. I guess I'm just going to have to give up and use my jump starter if I want to use the electric starter on the thing.

Also, a lot of you guys have suggested going to different places to check for batteries. I live in Hemet California. We have a TSC and three auto parts houses and that's it. No motorcycle shops or anything like that so I'm kind of limited that way.

Thanks anyway guys for trying to help. One other thing, there are no marks on the battery as to who even made the thing.

I'm thinking it is the original battery since it fits into the battery tray on the gen. There are two posts welded on either side of the batt tray for the battery hold down. So the battery is limited to 6" as this has to fit between those hold down posts. The space for the battery is also limited in height. So those 7.13" wide batteries would not fit even if I cut off those two hold down posts.

I checked Pulsar for a website and they don't even have a button to order parts or a replacement battery. How strange. All they want to do is sell you a generator.

What a mess.

This post was edited by Caryc on 01/09/2023 at 08:15 am.

If it is a tray, maybe you can take out the holdowns and use the holes to secure a piece of plywood on top of tray via the holdown holes?
Then get a battery that is not restricted to fit in the existing tray?

(quoted from post at 09:53:51 01/09/23)
If it is a tray, maybe you can take out the holdowns and use the holes to secure a piece of plywood on top of tray via the holdown holes?
Then get a battery that is not restricted to fit in the existing tray?

As I said before, I could cut off the welded on hold down posts but I would still be limited by the height space for the battery to fit in there. All those 7.13" length batteries are all to tall to fit in the battery space.

Have you tried contacting Customer Support at Pulsar?

''For parts, service and warranty request, please contact us at 1-866-591-8921 or email us at [email protected]. Our support center hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00am-4:00pm pacific.''

The availability of a usable battery exists. The link is to an example. You have been given correct information all along. There are 20 batteries that can fit in that mount. Shim this one with some stiff foam, or Styrene foam. Adapt the leads to the terminals supplied. If you have difficulty with this hire someone to fix it. Jim
One example

> Unfortunately, every battery with NB (nut and bolt) terminals is one of those 7.13 wide batteries.

It should be no problem to adapt to different style connections. Worst case, just cut off whatever is currently on the cables and replace with appropriate ring terminals.

Most motorcycle/power sports batteries allow several different types of connections.

> I live in Hemet California. We have a TSC and three auto parts houses and that's it. No motorcycle shops or anything like that so I'm kind of limited that way.

I find it hard to believe none of the auto parts stores in Hemet sell motorcycle batteries.
Google is your friend

(quoted from post at 12:00:12 01/09/23) > I live in Hemet California. We have a TSC and three auto parts houses and that's it. No motorcycle shops or anything like that so I'm kind of limited that way.

I find it hard to believe none of the auto parts stores in Hemet sell motorcycle batteries.
Google is your friend

Believe it or not. I took the battery in to all three parts houses and they told me, they have nothing.

(quoted from post at 11:45:27 01/09/23) The availability of a usable battery exists. The link is to an example. You have been given correct information all along. There are 20 batteries that can fit in that mount. Shim this one with some stiff foam, or Styrene foam. Adapt the leads to the terminals supplied. If you have difficulty with this hire someone to fix it. Jim
One example

I took the existing battery into O'Reileys and they had nothing. As I keep saying, I'm limited by size. that battery you gave the link for is to tall to fit in the space provided.

I googled "motorcycle shops near Hemet, CA" and got over a dozen hits.

There's more to Hemet than just Florida Avenue. I see the Tractor Supply, NAPA, Advance, and Autozone you're talking about. All on Florida Ave, Route 74.

There are also TWO Walmart Supercenters. One of them is visible from the Tractor Supply parking lot.

Hemet California is hardly Silent Hill, West Virginia. It's not bordered on all sides by a bottomless chasm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back