Getting a 1219 going

caboshvt

New User
Just picked up an early model 1219 mower for $800 and it needs a few things before it gets cutting.

First i need the knife drive belt. I found its supposed to be part number E46844. I ordered one online but it was too tight to get on, even with the adjustment loosened all the way. The number on the actual belt i received is P-E46844, is this correct or do i need one with a different letter in front?

Second main problem is most of the teeth are broken. Its the older style bar with the teeth riveted on. I got some replacement teeth but im having trouble figuring out what rivets to use. Does anyone have a part number?

Also wondering if i could just replace the whole knife bar with one out of the newer style 1219’s that have the bolt on teeth?

E46844 is correct JD part #for knife drive belt. A&I part# is A-E46844 @ $30.77. One has to have correct guards to utilize bolt on sections. I don't remember ever seeing JD Mo-Co reel pipe teeth riveted on pipe. If I was going to utilize a sickle type Mo-Co I want stub guards on cutter-bar. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/search/pgId/27452 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/navigation/pgId/263335 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/navigation/pgId/278262

Last edited:
E46844 is correct JD part #for knife drive belt. A&I part# is A-E46844 @ $30.77. One has to have correct guards to utilize bolt on sections. I don't remember ever seeing JD Mo-Co reel pipe teeth riveted on pipe. If I was going to utilize a sickle type Mo-Co I want stub guards on cutter-bar. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/search/pgId/27452 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/navigation/pgId/263335 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/73432/referrer/navigation/pgId/278262
Thanks for the reply. That must be the problem i had with the belt, i need the A- number not the P- that i was trying.

For the teeth though i guess im calling them the wrong thing, i meant the blades on the sickle bar not the finger things on the pickup reel

I used a 1219 for several years. Tx Jim is absolutely correct about using stub guards. You will need the high arch tops so you have clearance for bolt on knife sections. You may already know this, but when changing the knife sections, do not take all of the old ones off at once. The bar (they attach to) may twist without some sections on it. When changing all, I would change three, remove and change three more, until all were replaced.

Thanks for the reply. That must be the problem i had with the belt, i need the A- number not the P- that i was trying.

For the teeth though i guess im calling them the wrong thing, i meant the blades on the sickle bar not the finger things on the pickup reel
It appears when you stated rivets you were referring to sickle section attaching rivets. A rivet tool causes replacement easier but not as easy as bolt on sections. There are several different aftermarket rivet tools also. One end of tool removes rivets & other end brads rivets

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-13 115136.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 115136.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
I used a 1219 for several years. Tx Jim is absolutely correct about using stub guards. You will need the high arch tops so you have clearance for bolt on knife sections. You may already know this, but when changing the knife sections, do not take all of the old ones off at once. The bar (they attach to) may twist without some sections on it. When changing all, I would change three, remove and change three more, until all were replaced.
I have JD1209, earlier version of 1219. I use bold on sections and stub guards with the later style JD adjustable tops, like used on bigger swather.

It appears when you stated rivets you were referring to sickle section attaching rivets. A rivet tool causes replacement easier but not as easy as bolt on sections. There are several different aftermarket rivet tools also. One end of tool removes rivets & other end brads rivets

Oh nice that tool looks handy i’ll def take a look at them. Any chance you know what rivets i will need to use to attach the new blades?

I bought a 1207 that was pretty beat up. I was going to replace a few sections but the bolts in the kit were too long to clear the hold downs. I just got a new knife from a dealer. Cost wasn't awful.

You're confused about the belt part number. There is only one number- E46844. Any letter before or after that is only a manufacturing/distribution reference.

I don't know why you are having trouble getting it installed. You didn't mention where you got it. If not from Deere, it's possible the 'will fit' is more of a 'not quite fit'. Maybe a tad wider or shorter than the original. Suggest you get one from John Deere. Maybe more expensive (maybe not) but Deere belts have earned a reputation for long life.

Might also be worth checking the casting numbers on the pulleys to make sure some PO hasn't changed them for some not-so-good reason.

Last edited:
Spacechem
JD part numbers such as E46844 when listed on A&I parts site which is owned by JD list JD part #s are identified with a "A" in front of part number such as A-E46844. Photo below was copied & pasted from JD's parts site.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 070833.png

Spacechem
JD part numbers such as E46844 when listed on A&I parts site which is owned by JD list JD part #s are identified with a "A" in front of part number such as A-E46844. Photo below was copied & pasted from JD's parts site.

View attachment 71524
Exactly as I said- The letter A before the part number is merely a marker to signify this belt is now marketed through A & I. There should be no difference between a 'P' and an 'A' before the part number in the fitment of this belt.

The installation difficulty reported by the OP suggests that either A) the belt he bought online is not an exact replacement or B) one or both of the pulleys have been somehow replaced with non-standard parts or C) he has made some error in his procedure, which I doubt.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back