gravity flow wagon brands ?

swindave

what were ,or are some of the more popular gravity flow wagon brands in your area? im not sure they even make them any more?
several j&m, here, killbros, and bradford, so by big blue farm stores?
what about in your area?
thanks

Killbros and Little Giant (up to around 1970). The 1980's saw other brands including DMI and Unverferth.

There were/are quite a few Fav-o-Rit, Smoker and Farmec boxes around here because they were all made relatively close by in Lancaster County, PA. Hamilton Equipment distributed the daylights out of Little Giant, so there were/are a lot of them too. The most common newer wagons are Kill Bros, E-Z Flow, Unverferth, and J&M. Because of all the machinery jockeys in Pennsylvania bringing stuff from the Midwest, there is a sampling of many other brands around. There was a farmer who had a John Deere box with the 4-leg deer logo that was sold new by a local dealer. I've never seen another.

Early on, before my time, were the Little Giants. They came in pieces, and were assembled with hundreds of screws. Then the orange Killbros were prevalent.

Around here the little orange gravity wagons are about gone--The Brent factory is only 50 miles from here and they took over--Before we got our semis we had Brent 640s--went right to the plant with my pick-up and pulled them home--could haul over 1200 bu. to town with 2 hooked together--sold them for more than I paid for them. But before I sold them the Wife wanted to be sure she would like driving a semi tractor and a hopper bottom.---Tee
cvphoto98282.jpg

Super single truck tires--Never had any trouble with them..
cvphoto98283.jpg

She liked the Sterling--Had a Allison automatic in it..
cvphoto98284.jpg

The alcohol plant does not like wagons anymore--one guy thought he could switch dumps with two wagons but took out the door..

Around here it was Minnesota and kilbros and a few others. The Minnesota brand was the first large box and with factory extensions held 300 bu. But they were very flat and you did not want to haul wet corn in them. Lots of them still around. They work good if the grain is dry enough.

Here in WI lots of EZ Flow, DMI, Parker, Kilbros, Dakon, Farm & Fleet, Bradford, Minnesota, Central Tractor and Heiders. Sure I will think of a few more. Tom

in the 70s where i live it was mostly dakon and minnesota. then ezflow took over. now they are slowly going away. the last few years its been mostly brentt . but now gravity wagons are being pushed out and trucks are taking over.

Tom mentioned Farm and Fleet... I have several, all different. One was built by Bradford, another by Ficklin, they also sold Kory.

I bought 5 Kory 185s from Fleet Farm and added factory extensions making them 250+ each. The 5 easily hold enough for one semi. When I got more serious about grain farming I added the two J&M grain carts in the picture below. These two grain carts also hold one semi load and a 125 HP tractor will handle either one quite well.

cvphoto98325.jpg

cvphoto98326.jpg

cvphoto98327.jpg

Also used to see light green Huskee (or Husky?)sold by TSC , and orange Central Tractor gravity boxes. Not sure who made them. There were a couple different neighbors here with the old Huskee wagons.

Unverferth that built Kill Bros were at Delphos, Oh. McCurdy was built at Ada, Oh and they built grain elevators sa well. Then Botkins that were built at Botkins, Oh. All within 50 mile from where I lived. Only company left is the Unverferth. I had all 3 brands I mentioned Plus J & M that I don't know where they were made.

Most were old none branded or painted over so no name visible. then Unverferth,McCurdy,Killbros,Ficklin and some sold by TSC Farm and Fleet We have a couple emco boxes.Were made by Elsie Machine company before they went out of business. Now Mostly seeing big wagons like the Brent 5-700 bushel models and Unverferth. Semis and gravel trains or hopper trains are taking over. 2000 bushel trains are the norm for the big guys. some are end dump some are hopper trailers. pull close to 180,000-200,000 on them gross. The 200 is mostly if nobody is looking or going to the bin close by.

Around here 50 years ago there were two main brands of gravity wagons, Parker and Killbros. They were the two brands that held up the best and unloaded the easiest. Brent then bought out Parker and Unverferth owns Brent. Now we mainly see Brent if a farmer still uses wagons. Years ago I never saw a wagon sitting the side of the road with a broken front spindle. Today with the big wagons I see at least one wagon with a broken front spindle or snapped off wheel somewhere in my area every fall. A tractor pulling two big wagons can scale well over 100,000 pounds and not get in trouble with the law for overweight axles. I saw one tractor and two wagons combo scale 113,000 at the local feed mill. If a truck tries that kind of weight the DOT will lock him up and throw away the keys.

This post was edited by fixerupper on 08/22/2021 at 10:04 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back