Gray engine oil right after changing??

Bullfiddler

New User
I recently just changed oil in a Farmall 656 gas. The old oil was typical dark black and I replaced with Case IH low ash 30W. I really haven't ran the tractor other than to pull it in a out of garage as I was fixing a few things before getting ready to sell. Well, I had a guy come and look at it and first thing he did was pull the dipstick. And to my surprise, it was a milky grey color so needless to say, he passed. This frustrates the crap out of me because there is literally less than an hour of run time on it and really no load yet. I checked the radiator and it is plum full and does not smoke. I should also say I just also pressure washed it after changing the oil. It has also been sitting outside in normal 30 degree weather. Should I assume it is just condensation that showed up very obvious in new oil?? Maybe got moisture from pressure washing it?? I think I should grind feed with it this week and see if it boils out the moisture. What says you?
 
better get that oil out of it before using it. your not going to boil anything other than screw the engine brg's first thing. pay closer attention when washing. or wash before oil change.
 
If it where me I would start by loosening he oil drain plug to the point it starts to drip and see what comes out. Then I would change the oil again but this time not pressure wash it and also let it drain for an hour or more
 
Pressure washing along the all the dirty gasket lines probably pushed a lot of water into the engine at the same places where the much lower pressure oil had been leaking out.

First thing I would drain the milky oil and replace the oil filter to get rid of the moisture.
 
This makes the most sense to me. I have never really cleaned it this good since I've bought the machine and it does have some leaks here and there. I will drain and replace. The thing that sucks is I used the expensive low ash oil from case ih. Live and learn I guess.
 
If I were going to keep the tractor, I would remove the oil pan and check for sludge build up and look for drips from coolant.
 
As long as it's a milky gray and not a shimmery gray. Shimmery gray like never-seez is an indication of metal flakes in the oil. Never a good sign.

Personally I do not like to see fresh oil in a tractor for sale, and I won't do that to one I'm selling. Used oil shows a more honest picture of the condition of the engine. Fresh could be hiding any number of sins.
 
(quoted from post at 23:34:45 01/29/20) Taste it. Easy to tell if antifreeze or water.
Just a touch on tip of tongue not a coffee cup full! Antifreeze will be very sweet unless it is the new bitter tasting type. Either should be easy to tell from nice clean oil!
 
You may have directed water up the engine breather pipe while washing the sides of the Oil pan. There are baffles in there to prevent oil flowing out but I I?m not sure how well they keep water out. I also agree that the pressurized water can penetrate a leaking gasket.
 
Check plug to see if theres water or oil at
plug. I experimented filling a glass half
full of engine oil then pouring some
antifreeze in it and the antifreeze
separates to the bottom almost instantly.
 
(quoted from post at 11:31:02 01/30/20) Check plug to see if theres water or oil at
plug. I experimented filling a glass half
full of engine oil then pouring some
antifreeze in it and the antifreeze
separates to the bottom almost instantly.

But if the engine has been run it is like putting the oil and antifreeze mix in a blender and will take a long time to settle out isf at all. Might help to heat some to thin the oil but would not recommend doing this if wife is home!
 
you would have to do this check before running the engine. once started and if enough for oil pump to pick up the coolant or water its too late as it will be milk. you will not separate it out either.
 
I've gotten into several arguments about how BAD pressure washing engines, or tractors, or trucks is.
Still waiting for one smart-alek to come and show me how he pressure washes his lawn tractor without
blowing everything full of soapy water, and we argued about how stupid it was almost 15 years ago!

Strongest thing I use anymore is a spray can of Gunk foaming engine cleaner and a spray nozzle on the end
of a garden hose. You can cut 2x6's with most pressure washers.

I'm about 99% sure you blew water into the engine from somewhere. I'm not familiar with an IH C263 to
say where. Change oil & filter, run engine for an hour and maybe call the guy that looked at it, let him
know what happened. How does the hydraulic/transmission HyTran look? It will actually absorb a little
water which causes it to kinda jell up.
 
I agree also, plus many damage the rad fins also washing. plus he said the oil was black when he changed it so the story is told.
 
I remember reading someone's restoration blog once and they had power washed their tractor right before winter and it ended up freezing and damaging some stuff, I just can't remember who that was.
If I ever power wash any of them, it's to cut off any heavy grime and I always drain everything afterwards and replace gaskets and fluids.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top