Grease gun reccomendation and usage tips for newbie?

Lylat1an

I want to put fresh wheel grease in the bearings of my John Deere H, but I don't have a grease gun nor have I ever used one before.

I'm thinking a manual version would be best considering how rarely I'll need to use it. But is a pistol grip better than the lever style?

Also, how much grease should I put in the front and outside rear bearings? Is it possible to use too much?

I am not familiar with the set up on a John Deere H. I will say
this though most bearings like that I pack by hand with the
bearings out. Put a wad of grease in the palm of your hand,
and hold the bearing with the other hand. Press the bearing
edge into the edge of the grease. Do this all the way around
the bearing. Its kinda hard to discribe the process. As far as
grease guns either one is an ok choice. To me it depends
mostly on personal preference.

For wheel bearings, put grease in a zip lock bag, put the bearing in and work the grease in to it. It's a whole bunch cleaner.

As for the grease gun, I'd start with a lever type.

I don't have the equipment to remove the bearings, I mean just injecting grease into the glands. (If that's the correct term) Sorry.

I find the pistol grip style handier for me- one hand to squeeze and one to hold the hose to the grease fitting. I think the lever style of gun produces better leverage to force grease through a clogged fitting, but if the tip pops of, the grease goes all over.

I tried a cheap version of the locking grease gun tip, and it was worth less than I paid. I have not tried the Levr-Lok version for $30, but some YouTubers seem to like it for locking on the fitting, leaving two hands free.

My neighbor has a Lincoln battery powered gun, but thinks that it causes a person to over grease bearings and blow out the seals keeping the dirt and water out. Just his opinion, but I have never used one.

It is called a zerk fitting. If the
fittings are old and stuck, I prefer to
use a lever gun with a metal end instead
of a flexible hose.

Lalyat1an. Youll get a lot of advice. But if you seldom used this device try to borrow one. As for as how to load and use if you dont have the brief manual,
because it will be brief. Remember that Goggle is your friend. Wingnut

(quoted from post at 12:00:58 08/01/21)
How much grease should I apply?

Add grease until it just starts to come out from around the seals.
If you drive though mud puddles then add grease often to keep water and mud pushed out.
My dad had an F-20 that had grease zerks on the front wheels, which he greased often, and never had a problem with those wheel bearings.
Latter he replaced it with a new A.C. WD, and after a couple of years the front wheel bearings went out.
I took over the farm and equipment, and also had the same problem.
The bearing caps had long threads, so every so often I would remove these caps and fill them with grease and screw them back on, which would press the dirt/mud out, which ended the problem.

Dusty

The bag is a good idea to keep the grease off your hands , I use those throwaway gloves for the same reason.

Hmmm when you edit a post it apparently deletes it...

What Id said was the Plews Tools pistol grip is my gun of choice, 1 hand to hold/pump and the other holds the nozzle on the zerk fitting.

I rarely pack bearings anymore. I just wipe some grease on the rollers and the race put it together and fill with oil. The grease will washout with the oil and be fine. For most of the rest of the wheels I just use the greae gun on the hub with a zerk between the 2 bearings so I don't just push the cap out of the hub. I put about 10-12 squirts in each time I grease the machine with good results and have not had grease come out around the seal or push the cap off.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back