Had a hard calving this morning,tough momma

Philip d

We had a heifer having trouble calving this morning. One front leg was back and the other foot and head were all the way out. The calf was already dead and I couldn?t reach the other foot. That left 3 options,try and get it out anyways ,try and get the calf pushed all the way back in and straighten the leg out or call the vet and do that or remove the calf in parts means it?s gone anyhow. I hooked the calving chains to the foot and head and tied a rope to the handles and wrapped the other end around a post. She was laying down at this point and I sat on the rope and no movement. The heifer stood up pulled tight on the rope then she knelt on her front knees and got it out all on her own. I really thought the rope would snap she pulled so hard. In all my years around cows I?ve never seen a heifer or even cow try so hard to help. She seems to be fine and no signs of a pinched nerve.

There is always some feeling of satisfaction even when things are only part ways satisfactory. Hope your heifer does well for you.
Ben

I never call the vet for anything anymore because it usually costs more than if I shoet the animal.
In your case I would have cut the skin around the leg and up as far as I could.
Pull that leg out then hook to head and out it comes.
You would be amazed how easy it is after that one leg is removed.
I had 6 lambs one year that I bought and some how every lamb was bred.
Not sure what type of ram he had used but they were 10-12 lbs and not one could lamb. They all came out like that. Saved all the ewes that way and they turned out to be great at 2 years old.
I normally wait till there 2 to lamb anyway.

I have been told that if a cow can pull it out like you did it won?t damage anything. Not sure if it?s true.

Glad you could save her. I had one wild cow that was having trouble pushing out a big breech calf once. I watched from a distance for a good long while, only two hooves sticking out. When I moved in, she sprang to her feet and ran away. While she was running uphill, she squeezed it out.

just sold all my livestock, turns out i was getting to old to do it anymore. i'll miss it anyway.

Even though I didn?t hardly pull on the calf myself I got a little reminder why it?s good for me to change occupations today. My back lol. I?m a bit sore but if I have given it one more really good pull I?d likely be laid up for a few days. It seems I can lift and carry most days no issues but I?ve put my back out enough times over the years pulling calves or tugging on down cows it takes near nothing in that type of pull and I can?t hardly walk the next morning.

Cattle have calves bucks are begatten from deer and only if the offspring is male then they must mature

I read your post to my oldest son, 25 and soon to be a pharmacist. As I was reading it, I realized how he has had none of these experiences in life. Our dairy cows were gone before I was born, but Grandpa, Dad and now I still fattened calves for freezer beef. I've done some amateur vet work, shots, boluses, etc. Buried a handful of losses. I cried for most of them.

We've mananged the number of cats around the barn in a humane way, and somehow, I always got lucky enough to find the current pet cat on the road, in the hayloft, or under the cows' feet first, and dealt with it without them.

As much as my kids have helped around here with hay and in the grapes and even feeding the cows, they have been sheltered from the death part.

I know, most of this is because that's how my wife wanted it, but now, I sure hope I didn't screw this all up.

I don?t think you messed anything up at all. Getting used to life
losses isn?t always a great thing either. I guess it?s not totally
different then a doctor or nurse loosing a patient in some
ways. Many a cattleman have told me over the years if your
going to have livestock your going to have dead ones too
unfortunately.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back