Hard starting 830 two cylinder

I've owned a late 830 for a number of years and it's always been hard starting. By hard starting I mean it needs to crank for an extended period of time before it starts. It is a pony start. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, been sitting for two hours or two months, it needs to crank for a long time. My starting procedure is to fire up the pony and let it run for 3 - 5 minutes then crank the diesel with the compression released until I see oil pressure, then engage the compression and slowly advance the throttle. Once the throttle is near full throttle it will fire eventually. Once it's started it runs fine, has 75 Hp on the dyno and pulls 5 - 16's with no problem. The 820 manual calls for 12 to 24 PSI fuel pressure, I have about 22. But there is also a pressure/check valve in the fuel return line to tank, my manual doesn't mention this valve or the pressure it should maintain. But I do remember a discussion about fuel pressures on later tractors being different than earlier units and possible problems with this valve.

I've a 730 pony start that starts as soon the throttle comes off the stop position, a world of difference between the two tractors. Can any one provide up-dated specs. or guidance on this tractor?

Thanks

(quoted from post at 20:54:41 04/21/21) I've owned a late 830 for a number of years and it's always been hard starting. By hard starting I mean it needs to crank for an extended period of time before it starts. It is a pony start. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, been sitting for two hours or two months, it needs to crank for a long time. My starting procedure is to fire up the pony and let it run for 3 - 5 minutes then crank the diesel with the compression released until I see oil pressure, then engage the compression and slowly advance the throttle. Once the throttle is near full throttle it will fire eventually. Once it's started it runs fine, has 75 Hp on the dyno and pulls 5 - 16's with no problem. The 820 manual calls for 12 to 24 PSI fuel pressure, I have about 22. But there is also a pressure/check valve in the fuel return line to tank, my manual doesn't mention this valve or the pressure it should maintain. But I do remember a discussion about fuel pressures on later tractors being different than earlier units and possible problems with this valve.

I've a 730 pony start that starts as soon the throttle comes off the stop position, a world of difference between the two tractors. Can any one provide up-dated specs. or guidance on this tractor?

Thanks

Take the cover off the injection pumps and check if the fuel racks are moving and how far at idle , mid and full throttle while motoring the diesel with the pump engine .
I dont like cranking those diesels with the fuel on and the de-compressor engaged . However there is no other way to check rack travel under startup conditions .

Certainly not normal. I started my 820 black dash the other day after sitting idle for more than a year and it popped off instantly when advancing the throttle while motoring under compression for just a few seconds. Don't know anything about the injectors or any adjustments that may help. B&Ds advice sounds like a good place to start. May be a good time to replace the primary, or maybe both fuel filters, if you haven't recently done so.

(quoted from post at 17:54:41 04/21/21) I've owned a late 830 for a number of years and it's always been hard starting. By hard starting I mean it needs to crank for an extended period of time before it starts. It is a pony start. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, been sitting for two hours or two months, it needs to crank for a long time. My starting procedure is to fire up the pony and let it run for 3 - 5 minutes then crank the diesel with the compression released until I see oil pressure, then engage the compression and slowly advance the throttle. Once the throttle is near full throttle it will fire eventually. Once it's started it runs fine, has 75 Hp on the dyno and pulls 5 - 16's with no problem. The 820 manual calls for 12 to 24 PSI fuel pressure, I have about 22. But there is also a pressure/check valve in the fuel return line to tank, my manual doesn't mention this valve or the pressure it should maintain. But I do remember a discussion about fuel pressures on later tractors being different than earlier units and possible problems with this valve.

Thanks

Does it make smoke as soon as you open the throttle, if it doesnt you are not getting any fuel.
That would suggest sticky governor or rack.
Testing as above

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back