HD7GB- Some Progress

donjr

Got up this morning to 15 degree weather. I went out to breakfast, and met my SIL ands grandson at the barn about 1030. We found a piece of four inch angle, and cut off 2 one foot pieces for a brace over the loader arm cylinder rods. went in to start the 6400 anddiscovered some dummy (read 'me') forgot to plug the d@amn thing in yeasterday after feeding. About 1/2 an hour later, it fired up and off we went. Should have known better. 12 miles later, I pulled into the lane to be greeted by the local killers- a lab and bluetick. They were ready to sit back and watch the show. The owners' boys cme out, and we went to work. Gates came down or off. Old gyromower got lifted out of the way. Crouse construction had very conveniently cut a round hole in each side of the bucket for our chains. I pulled the 6400 up to it, lowered the bucket, and Jimie hooked the chain over it. Pullled back on the lever, the chain tightened up and promptly lifted the back end off the ground. I knew then that this wasn't going well. Jim unhooked the chain, and I dipped the bucket tip in front of the loader bucket, picked up the front end of the 6400 and tried to get under the loader bucket. I wound up on the teeth. Backed up, tried again and just scarified the frost. So I backed up just a bit further, worked the bucket back and forth a few times, and started making some headway down. It's only been below freezing for a few days, so the frost isn't too deep yet. I was only thinking I wish this kid had gotten in Craigslist a couple of weeks earlier before it got cold. Anyway the third time was the charm- my bucket finally went below the teeth on the loader. It was only a couple of seconds until the AC's arms moved for the first time in fifteen years! Up they came, and Jim and Todd each threw an angle over the lift cylinder rods. Todd moved the hydralic valve back into neutral, and we were ready for the second phase. As I turned around, Jimie put a chain around the tow hook under the AC, and Todd hooked up to the clevis on the rear of the 6400. When everyone was clear, I tried to give the old AC a tug. No dice. I couldn't see it move, but Todd said it came forward about an inch or so. But all I could do was kind of spin on the now greasy thawing ground. Even with the four wheel engaged and the rear locked up,we weren't gonna go up hill any. So, the owner said he would try to get his Ford backhoe started and we'd put some more HP into this mess. Of course, Mr. Ford was cold, and didn't want to wake up. After about 1/2 anhour, it finally started, but was cold and wouldn't steer. It had to run for another half hour or so before Keith could steer it. In the meantime, I went down into the pasture and moved a pile of posts from the backside of the AC. We hooked the chain to the ROPS mounts because the AC doesn't have a drawbar. Todd asid the tractor moved back this time about 2 or 3 inches, but the frozen ground has the tracks pretty tight. The backhoe finally came down over the hill and butted up to the now raised bucket. Even both tractors didn't move her anymore against the frozen tracks.

I'm gonna call George in the morning and get the batteries he has. Then we'll try to start the AC where she is. It's supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow, so we'll give it a try. I talked to Keith, who was the last guy to run it, and he said it ran well. He didn't know about the oil, but said the fill cap-breather was on it previously. That's when one of the older boyd piped up and blamed a younger sibling of playing around with things and checking stuff out. So I et the feeling we'll eventually find it somewhere under the tracks. But it does help convince me there is little if any water down in the pan. So, if it will start, we may be in luck if this kid just pulled it off not too long ago. I think he's about eight or so. It also explains why there are a bunch of wire pieces strewn around the engine compartment. Not hooked to anything- but wrapped around bolts and injector lines and so forth.

After putting up gates to keep the horses in, we went ahead and left. The Ravens- Texans game had already started, and that is more important. At least in my helpers' minds. More later-

does that HD7 have a dipstick tube? was thinking you could stick a small hose [think chainsaw fuel line size] down the pipe and siphon off the bottom...should be able to get out most of the water if there is any.

Admire your ambition but do you honestly think it's going to just fire up after sitting for 15 years? You'll do more harm than good trying to start it without putting any oil in the cylinders or checking it over very carefully. You don't even know if the engine is free. I think your best bet would be to wait till spring when everything is thawed out and warm so you can work on it in some kind of comfort. I would imagine the fuel tank, lines, injectors and pump could be gummed up and/or have algae formation. Then it would be best to change the oil and figure a way to prime it and lubricate everything before starting. It won't be a simple task to get a machine like that going again. It is possible but 15 years outside is a Loooong time to sit in the elements. A lot of seals could be dried up and will leak too. This is more like a partial restoration project to get it going again rather than a quick fix for something that's been siting for only 6 month's or so. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but I don't want to see you spend a bunch of time on money on something that might not be worth it to you in the end.

That's an idea I've been toying with, only trouble is that water is frozen now if there was any.

I know what you are saying. I told them yesterday i wished they had put it on the internet earlier by a month or two. We've had a mild winter up until the last week. As far as sitting, two stories. D8 sat in a sand pit about 15 miles from here for at least 30 years. Old cable rig. I hear a couple of guys spent a few hours and hooked a battery to her, fired her up and stuck her on a lowboy after drivung it around for fifteen minutes. Closer to home, there was an old quarry track loader at a neighbors place that was there for some 30 years in friends front yard. This loader was more like an early 953, engine in the rear, and not a common make around here. I don't even know what it was. Ron's wife finnally laid down the law, and made him get rid of it, so he told a couple of friends it was theirs. They went over with a battery to see if it would turn over one day. It did, and started, much to their surprise. They had to chase Ron down to find out howw to shut it off. Trouble was, it was there when he bought the place about twenty years earlier. They finally located another guy who had seen one and told them how to shut it down. It ran for a couple of hours before that happened, on fuel that was in the tank and lines from years ago.

These folks want to get this tractor moved, and if it's not much good, it's getting scrapped. Either way, I'm not out money- it's worth more for scrap than I'll have in it.

fun story...
Regarding the electrical system... if the kids or rodents have been in there and messed around, perhaps, to prevent an ele fire, disconnect the alt or generator. You won't need other than he starter (and fuel solenoid, if equipped) to start the engine.

I like the siphon idea. I use this on my 55 gal fuel tank and also the tank on the little crawler I use. I also change the oil by siphoning. There is a million pound weight beneath the oil pan on mine that blocks the drain plug.

all sounds like fun, wish i was there...sl

Hi
My neighbor has an old David Brown diesel tractor that sat for years, it started right away too, and ran great.
It is amazing how this happens, as we get a lot of hot and cold weather here, and the cylinders must sweat a lot.
Brian

Good news. It works! Bad news. Has some antifreeze in it. Couldn't siphon much- my hose was too short. Gonna go back up tomorrow(?) with a bucket and antifreeze tester and see how much is in it. More later--

sounds like the sleeve orings dried out or just fell apart from old age...not that expensive to fix but its a job!

It may turn out to be a decent enough machine to use but not if you rush trying to get it going and cause further damage that renders it scrap. Stories about machines sitting for years and just starting right up are a dime a dozen. Unless you were there and know the complete history, take them with a grain of salt. I just think you should take your time and you might have a usable machine in the end.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back