Help: How to inspect bush hog blades

NoBite

We had a lot of tall weeds growing around a gate to a pasture. The wife said they needed to be gone, so I backed the bush hog in there and cut the weeds and at the same time got a reminder that there was an old pile of bricks stacked there, too. So, now my bush hog rattles and shakes when I use it and Id better at the very least inspect the blades. Ive no idea how to elevate the bush hog to safely get at the blades, having never done that before. Really not sure how to begin. I have a front end loader on my tractor and a stout log chain. Anything else needed I will have to acquire or borrow. Tips?

I use FEL to raise mine up & lean it against a tree, so that if hyd fail in any way, I'm still safe.

(quoted from post at 11:54:02 07/26/20) I use FEL to raise mine up & lean it against a tree, so that if hyd fail in any way, I'm still safe.

Do you raise it up so it is resting on its back wheel? Or do you raise it up on a side?

I have had the blades get stuck under the stump jumper and need pried out. Make sure and block it up good with stands or cribbing, no concrete blocks when you get under it.

I can adjust my top link short enough so the front will touch
the ground and the rear is over a foot off the ground. Then put
a block under the back as safety. I bought a used Woods
cutter earlier amp his year that vibrated and shook bad.
Problem was not the blades. The problem was that the blade
holder was bent. I bought a new blade holder from a local
dealer for around 170 dollars and the cutter now runs smooth
as silk ! If it isn’t the blades I would check the blade holder,
gearbox output shaft. Hopefully you will have an easy fix !

(quoted from post at 12:40:40 07/26/20) I can adjust my top link short enough so the front will touch
the ground and the rear is over a foot off the ground. Then put
a block under the back as safety. I bought a used Woods
cutter earlier amp his year that vibrated and shook bad.
Problem was not the blades. The problem was that the blade
holder was bent. I bought a new blade holder from a local
dealer for around 170 dollars and the cutter now runs smooth
as silk ! If it isn t the blades I would check the blade holder,
gearbox output shaft. Hopefully you will have an easy fix !

Thanks!! Fingers crossed.

Since it is a 3 point raise it up with the center link as short as you can make it and then block or chain it up in the air so you can safely crawl under it. DO NOT go under it unless you have it chained or block up so it cannot fall on you

(quoted from post at 12:57:34 07/26/20)
(quoted from post at 11:54:02 07/26/20) I use FEL to raise mine up & lean it against a tree, so that if hyd fail in any way, I'm still safe.
n a side. I can stand up working on it & not lay on my back getting eyes full of crap! Same with either my pull type or 3-point type. No experience with bat-wing.

Thanks! That is just what I did.

mvphoto59128.jpg

Here is a video from underneath, inspecting the blades.

https://vimeo.com/441827532

So, I did not find anything wrong with the blades or blade holder. So, I got it off the blocks and engaged the blades and mowed in a tight figure-8 pattern, trying to duplicate the times it rattled and shimmered yesterday. Nothing wrong today!! So, I got to thinking about the tall grass/weeds I cut yesterday. If I over-revved the engine for what the bush hog requires, could that have caused the shimmy and shaking? It is possible I did that.

Most/many bush hogs have blades that swing. They are designed to swing out of the way rather than stall the mower,or break something. I was mowing today and hit a stump. The mower shook and vibrated until it got back up to speed and then every thing smoothed out. I assume the blade was not used to swinging since I have not hit something for several years - it needed some RPM to swing out.

You might use a jack to lift it up enough to crawl under it. Myself, I use an engine hoist. I stopped taking the blades off to sharpen, I just get under it with an angle grinder.

As David and Ken said you had one blade get wedged under the stump jumper. They normally come back out by themselves, but this time yours took a little longer.

(quoted from post at 06:31:46 07/27/20)

As David and Ken said you had one blade get wedged under the stump jumper. They normally come back out by themselves, but this time yours took a little longer.

Im thinking thats it. Everything looked right under the deck.

Good deal on no damage! I pick mine up with the 3 pt hitch and set the rear on a heavy steel saw horse to hold it up. I always make sure the pto shaft is disconnected.

you may have broken a blade which will make your BH dance and cause all kinds of havoc like bending and breaking a stabilizer bar. I used a comeAlong that i fastened to a tree up pretty high. Worked very well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back