Help ID'ing a tractor - think it is a IH 240U

I'm looking at an older International Loader from a family member, hoping to get into a loader cheaply and possibly get a backhoe on it later.

From digging around it looks like a 240 Utility, there is no pto or 3 point. Looks like just a drawbar as there is a 55 gallon barrel of weight back there.

It has a gas 4 Cyl, hydraulic pump added, and what looks to be a Wagner loader (from looking at pictures on the net). Also has Power Steering.

Is there a way to ID this better or if it is a 340? I was looking at the tag but someone cleaned the paint off the tag so well the only thing there is the numbers stamped in - 1095 J .

I searched the cast transmission cover numbers hoping to get me to a list of models but so far have only seen 240's. The transmission has - 369018 R1 cast in the cover.

If you think the model is either a 240U or 340U, the 240 has a 4 speed and the 340 a 5 speed transmission... just something easy to see if you aren't sure.

Several more differences that are easy to spot:

240 has hexagon rear axle housings, 340 housing are square.

240 implement mount pads on clutch housing are small sqaures, 340 is larger and somewhat triangle.

240 front tie rods go to center of tractor, 340 tie rods run along sides of tractor to steering box arms.

340 transmission housing also is longer for T/A and has removable plates on the sides. 240 doesn't.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back