Help Needed – M Hood Decal Placement

Sifting through the limited data available to me, and in coordination with a representative from the Two Cylinder Technical Advisory Council, I would like to believe the hood decal sizes and their placement for Model “M” tractors is correctly stated in the three paragraphs that follow the heading “MODEL ‘M’ TRACTORS” below. Hood decal sizes & placement are year-dependent.

I ask for feedback from every person out there who can agree or refute these instructions – either post or send me a note by e-mail. Be sure to cite year along with size (large, medium, small) and location (forward or centered).

Owners having “M” tractors in original (not repainted) condition are especially invited to participate! Either way, the result will be posted when finished.

NOTE: I also expect to prepare similar instructions for MT tractors – thus, these owners are invited to submit data – I will compile the result, and toss it back out for review.
----------------------------------------

MODEL “M” TRACTORS

1947-1948 -- take the large (20-inch) hood decal, installed 8-inches back from the front grill line. It was noted from several specimens, however, that these decals may also be centered -- making this one a matter personal choice.

1949-1950 --take the medium-size (16-inch) hood decal, and this decal is generally centered on the hood.

1951-1952 -- take the small (12-inch) hood decal, and is installed forward roughly 7-1/2-inches back from the front grill line.
-----------------
I thank you all in advance. (PatB)

I will go out to the barn and measure my M tomorrow, it still has the original silk screen on white lettering

serial # M46722 1951
lettering 11/16 '' tall white
right side 7 1/2" from grill 31 1/4" from end of hood
left side 11 1/2" from grill 27 1/4" from end of hood

how do you like this?
I guess this adds to the confusion.

I would like you to email me the results.

Not too confusing really -- very typical of other findings. Deere produced tractors designed to perform well in the field. Paint jobs weren't perfect, nor were final decal locations. And as we can see, it served them well! The hobbyist, on the other hand, wants to end up with a show tractor -- and Deere built a few of those too, but surely show tractors were not the main line!

Now -- just to enlighten you, the specimens in the Deere Pavillion are generally thought of as show quality. However nice they look, original in configuration they may not be – so beware! Case in point is H-1013, the 14th JD-H tractor built. Go to the JD-H Restoration Site (below), scan across to SPECIAL INTEREST and then from the drop-downs, select THE 39-H TRACTOR. Some non-original things about the tractor are pointed out, and some aren’t!

Bottom line, we try! And we learn! And it is hoped the outcome of this effort will be a quality guide -- thus helping others critical discussion of simple decal placement. BTW, final consensus results will be posted on the JD-H Restoration Site soon. (PatB)
Restoration Site, JD H

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back