Help with installing a distributor on 4 cylinder

I have a Ford 134 engine, I marked distributor removed it. Now I cant get back in. It wont fall into place. Its not setting down flush on block. Its my understanding that at the bottom of the distributor there is a hex key for oil pump drive Ive rotated the rotor some but the matter what I do and does not work. Any suggestions?

ya - sometimes those fight you hard.

The hex shaft is not engaging the bottom of the distributor shaft. You can use a pair of long reach pliers and reach the hex shaft and rotate it a bit. Keep after it and eventually it'll fall into place.

(quoted from post at 22:23:40 05/09/21) ya - sometimes those fight you hard.

The hex shaft is not engaging the bottom of the distributor shaft. You can use a pair of long reach pliers and reach the hex shaft and rotate it a bit. Keep after it and eventually it'll fall into place.
eally? A hex?

Pretty sure it's a slotted shaft on a 134.
mvphoto75028.jpg

(quoted from post at 15:08:55 05/10/21) Pretty sure it's a slotted shaft on a 134.
mvphoto75028.jpg
ep, I figured that he had seen a hex somewhere & just assumed the whole world was hex.

With the distributor in the block, turn the motor over by hand with a socket on the front crank nut. Once the distributor rotates enough it'll find the slot to engage the oil pump. Should drop down, but you may need some slight pressure on it.

yes - I made the assumption that the distributor was the same between the 134 and 172 - thanks for those pictures -
David

(quoted from post at 14:33:35 05/10/21) !953-54 134s,NAA,(jubilees) are slotted. All 134s and 172s, 1955 and later are hexed

I didn't know that. Just goes to show, you're never too old to learn something new! I just bought a new distributor for my Jubilee. It appears I bought the wrong one because I actually have a 192 in my Jubilee. Oops

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back