Hey, Rad Redrunner

ScottyHOMeY

Following up on last night's work.

Stop. You've got a couple of things to figure out, before you run the tractor much more.

Having to extend the thread on the carb rod as you did suggests there may be something amiss. It may have to do with either the carb or the governor.

As for the governor, the only thing you could determine from the outside that would cause this would be the remote possibility that the rockshaft arm (the one you hooked the rod to) is bent to the rear. It's also possible (still, remote) that the key that keeps it from turning on the shaft is (somehow) broken or missing, allowing it to turn clockwise (toward the rear) which wuld shorten the connecting length. Be CAREFUL if you decide to go at that rockshaft. It's brittle and won't stand much stress from bending or prying and pulling. I wouldn't attempt it on the tractor.

You need to get after that carb and see what it is. With luck, you'll be able to identify it from the tag that we can hope is still on it under all the gunk. If it's the original (likely a Carter or Zenith) it's probably not a factor in the extreme adjustment. If it's a replacement, it may or may not be part of the problem. There is a new Zenith that is a direct replacement that would require only minimal adjustment to synch to the governor, but I've also got one out on the shelf that is more what I'd call a kit replacement carb, in that you can move parts around on it to put the throttle linkage in different places and positions to adapt it to different motors and applications. If something like that got put on . . .

I always have to start from scratch to work through in my head which way the springs and the weights inside the governor push the shaft, but it IS possible that either the thrust bearing, the main spring, or the shaft bumper spring has failed. If somebody with more experience of these things than I have can chime in and say that your symptoms are a sure indicator that one or more of those is shot, then I'd say you might as well go straight into the governor. If not, and depending how it runs, I'm still for eliminating everything but before getting into that, and I'm still tending to think it's something else if I understand correctly that the engine would consistently speed up and slow down in response to your moving the speed lever.

AS far as the two springs at the front of the rod on the right side, the shorter, heavier spring goes to the front. These play a role in how quickly the governor responds. They do get fatigued and could be replaced if you wanted to, but if they're both there, they shouldn't be causing any extreme problem.

I've been told in response to questions I've had about both mine that it's not unusual for the governor to work over less than the entire range of your speed control lever. I've got one that idles at the bottom and maxes out at about two thirds of it's full range, and another that operates over the top two-thirds of the range - anything below that is just low idle.

Still you're not coming back to low idle now. How hard did you pull back on the governor lever when you adjusted it? I'm only on my second cup of coffee, so I can't recall whether or not that lever just stops or if you need to pull against some spring tension that you meet. You might try backing off some of your new threads some (average out the slack, as you put it) to see if it will come back down to idle.

As far as your motor, I've got a good idea that it's not a '40. Those serial numbers on the block can be notoriously hard to read. A number like you described, if it is the serial number, would be an early motor with the D indicating it was built with high altitude (5000 ft) pistons. But a motor that early would not have a place machined into the front of the block, just below your distributor, for the hydraulic pump. You didn't give the actual numbers you were reading, but if it's 3####D and what you're reading as a D at the end is actually a 0, then you've likely got the original motor. If you've got two pipes running forward from your Touch Control unit to the hydraulic pump at the right front of the block, I can safely say it's not a '40.

(I don't have a parts book for the SuperA, but in the book for As and Bs, they do list replacement crankcase, sleeve,and piston sets, with part numbers that use the old IH system and end in D, but the detail on those part numbers list the regular crankcase part number with the R# numbering system. I don't know whether the D number was anywhere on the engine, or just on the crate that the whole set was shipped in. In any event, a part number would be raised and cast, not stamped into that flat on the top right of the crankcase.)

Were it mine, I'd slack off that adjustment a little and run her enough to see if you can get the full range of smooth response back (high to low idle, going both up and down) Get that back and then check to see if she still falters with a load. If so, I'd get after the fuel lines and that carb next, and go from there.

Nope, Scotty, the serial number was clean and easy to read, 386**D, and the "D" is definitely a "D". There are prefix letters stamped together in a straight line (machine stamped?) in the top left corner of the planed area- "FCM" or "FMC", one or the other, can't recall exactly- could this be a replacement-ordered block?. I haven't been out yet to check on how the pump is mounted, but it's in the normal position and all, so is it possible that holes were drilled and tapped on an older block? (Was there room for this on the original A block?) A lot of trouble, true, but who knows what people did on these things in five decades.

As for the governor, yeah, that's what I'd planned to do, and I think the shorter spring is toward the front, so meeting the adjustments halfway would be next, I guess. I think I'll crank it up and try it out before I do anything else, just to see how it runs and what the range is. Before, the throttle lever would go back enough to kill the motor (restricted fuel flow?) and seemed to "top out" before the engine revved quite as high as it seemed it should. (Yes, I know they don't rev really high.) It's strange that there would be as much difference as you mentioned in the effective range of the throttle action on individual tractors, especially when the mechanics are so basic and supposedly the same; I don't doubt you at all, it's just weird.

So it's back to the tinkering again. At least the belts are on and everything is spinning, so I can crank it and check things out better. I really appreciate you sticking with me on this, Scotty, it sure makes it easier to dive into rather than going into a system completely blind. I've never dealt with a governor on an engine before, but I guess it's aptly named; it's placed between the working man and the power in order to control that power and it doesn't always act like it's supposed to or do what the working man wants it to do. I hope I don't have to impeach this one.

Rad

Okay! Now we're gettin' somewhere!

The FCM indicates that you've got a SuperC motor. SuperA motors had a prefix FAAM. The SuperC numbers started in the 100,000 range. I don't know how they numbered replacement engines serially, but I'll give ya dollars to donuts ('Course a good, jelly-filled donut's up to $.69 now, so it ain't that bad a deal, even if I lose. I likes donuts!) if ya scratch around in the paint and gunk a little in front of your "3" you'll find a "1" that'd make it a '52 motor. But it's definitely from a SuperC.

As far as not being able to get the speed to vary over the full range of the lever, I've been meanin' to measure up the arms on the throttle linkage on the old and new carbs I have around to see if maybe the newer ones are shorter, which would explain it. When I first encountered and asked about it, some folks also suggested that an odd bend in the rod from the lever to the governor would also cause it. I'm with you -- it still strikes me as weird.

After you adjust the synch linkage back to where you get your full range back again, I'd check the flow from the tank through the carb and the screen in the inlet elbow first. Don't forget to have a peek in the tank to make sure there's no remnants of wood (like from "fuel gauges") or anything else covering the inlet to the sediment bowl. Telescoping magnets and those nifty claw grippers are pretty handy for getting that kind of jetsam out. When that's okay, start her up. If she still dies on the low end, you'll need to work on the two adjustments on the carb.

Unless you've wound up with an oddball carburetor, the idle fuel mixture screw is just that, and will be the one at the front with the spring under the head, usually at an angle to the throat of the carb and a little above the bowl. The idle stop screw is a little harder to get to. It faces to the rear and is, of course, on the back side of the carb. It takes a LONG 1/4" screwdriver to get to. I usually run mine through one of the oblong holes in the air cleaner mount to get to it.

I'd say start with the idle mixture screw. (The idle stop screw only controls how far the throttle plate will close. A good clean carb will provide enough fuel to idle with the throttle plate pretty much at it's extreme, not-quite-closed position, which allows just a little air, so that the stop screw's basic purpose is to make the fine adjustment to the angle of the throttle plate to set the low idle speed.) Turn the mixture screw in to bottom it out (GENTLY -- if there's any crud in there, winding down too hard will score the needle and/or seat, limiting the purpose of it all), while counting the number of turns it takes to go to bottom. A rule of thumb for setting up new or rebuilt carbs is to start with that screw 1-1/2 turns out from bottom. If yours takes only a turn or less, that may be the problem, and I'd back it out to 1-1/2, see what that gets you, and work from there. With the motor running at idle (Do you have a tach? It's 425 RPM for that motor. The real potential of a dirty carb means yuo may have to run it higher to keep it runnin' at all.) and counting turns on the screwdriver, run it in until she starts to labor for lack of fuel. Still counting turns from that point, back the screw out until she starts to run rough from being too rich, then turn back in to split the difference.

If, after that, you can still kill it by pulling the speed control lever back, you could wind the idle stop screw in to raise the low idle speed so you can keep her running for the meantime, but I'd think you're in for a good carb cleaning and rebuild, which probably is in order anyway. Who knows how long that tractor sat before you got it doin' nothin' but varnishin' up the carb?

Scotty: I haven't been following this discussion from yesterday, however in June 52 SC tractor serial number 149945 had engine serial number 151959, and by June 54 tractor serial number 195652 had engine serial number 204642. I should mention that all Super A1 tractors had Super C engines with FCM prefix. Those SA1 engine serial numbers started at 206628.

The '49 C engine block theory seems likely, provided it had mounting holes for the hydraulic pump. The serial number definitely does not have a "1" in front, just FCM 38266 D. (Guess I don't have to buy any donuts. lol) I checked the block part number, it's a 251069R1.

As for the carb adjustment, I thought about the carb lever being short, too, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes, because the carb lever travels only 1/2 the length of travel on the governor, and the only way to increase the travel length of the carb lever linkage hole is to lengthen the lever itself. I'll be looking for a longer lever, or a new/rebuildable carb w/one. I'll keep your instructions for later reference, BUT I've decided that's not the main problem.

I adjusted the governor/carb linkage as we noted, and got fair results, but good enough to take it out for a test spin. I had the hood off and saw why the tractor labored so hard and died- when under load, there was about as much exhaust (and oil spatter) coming out of the oil cap as there was coming out of the exhaust! I guess it's hard to get much power when all the compression is leaking out of the cylinders, huh? I had to zig-zag to get the poor thing to pull itself up the hill in my yard! So I guess that rebuild won't wait until winter, at least if I want to use it for anything besides pulling my daughter's little red wagon (across level ground) anytime soon.

I don't suppose a proper overhaul can be done without splitting the tractor, can it?

Yep. I was thinkin' he might have one in the 138### range to make it an earlier '52 motor, but then got thinkin' if it is in fact 38### he might also have a motor from a '49C, if they were offering the Touch Control as an option that early.

Interesting point on the SA1 motors. It is right there in Guy Fay's data book, but one wouldn't think of it intuitively.

Well, that ain't the best news I've had all day. 8<(

Just for giggles, why don't you check your valve stem clearances, and then check your compression, dry first and then wet. Something on the order of 80-90 psi wold be good, but something resembling uniformity across them is more important.

It could be you need a ring job, and that would mean splittin' the tractor, but it could be a bad head gasket, which makes a plesant afternoon's job. Better yet, do it in the morning and drive your tractor in the afternoon.

Let us know how you're makin' out!

Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to invest in some equipment, now; dang it, that's really gonna cut into my spray paint budget! I have some reference books coming, so the clearances and procedures should all be in one of them or another. Could a bad head gasket really be the cause? That would be nice- to have a simple thing like that fix such a major problen. However, I'm pretty sure this tractor was not taken care of, because when I opened the breather there wasn't a drop of oil in it. In fact, there wasn't even an oily film to indicate there had ever been any oil in it, but there was plenty of rust, so maybe the previous owner(s) had decided a "water-bath" system was better. (eyes rolling) Seriously, tho', I can only imagine what kind of dust and grit went straight into the cylinders to score and scour the rings and walls, so I'm sure it needs at LEAST a ring job. But if you think replacing the headgasket is worth a try I'm game for it, especially if it might would give me enough power to run the belly mower through this summer. I won't depend on it working, but there's always a little chance of it working, right? Besides, I'll be able to see just how bad the rings and sleeves are while I have the head off.

As always, thanks for the input.

Rad

Yeah, a bad head gasket could do it. If it failed in a way that runs from one or more cylinders to the oil gallery or open crankcase, you'll lose compression (and vacuum) on that cylinder. It's also not uncommon for a head gasket to blow out between adjacent cylinders, causing compression and/or vacuum to fail, but not necessarily blasting out the kind of oil and smoke you're getting.

Have you had any oil in your radiator or coolant in your oil? That'd be another sign.

A compression gauge can be had pretty inexpensively. Check each cylinder with the motor just the way it is. That's the dry check. 75 or 80 psi would be pretty good but, as I said before, you may looking for a problem cylinder or two, and consistency is more important at this point. 50 or 60 psi dry would suggest you might need to be planning a ring job, but you needn't drop everything to do it, unless you're farmin' for a livin'.

But, I digress. Test them dry. If any one of them comes up lower than the others, or they're all low, then you recheck them all wet. (Keep a chart as you go along). Just spoon or squirt a couple tablespoons worth of oil into the cylinder through the plug hole. In the time it takes to thread the compression gauge back into the plug thread, the oil will have settled in on top and over the edges of the pistons, and start to follow any path it can find down through the rings. As soon as the gauge is hooked back up, test the compression again on that cylinder. Run them all that way, then look at your chart.

On any cylinder where the wet compression is considerably higher, it's a safe bet that you're losing compression around the rings. Where it comes up only marginally or not at all, it doesn't eliminate a problem with the rings, but it does tell you that a problem with the head gsket or your valves (out of adjustment, not seating properly, stuck, bent or slipped push rod) is the more immediate problem on that cylinder. Keep in mind that you may find some combination of problems, i.e little if any compression on the bad cylinders, and very low on the "good" ones, which would indicate the need for a top to bottom rebuild.

It's a hard prospect and it's not. I'm back to dollars and donuts, and I'll take that bet that the motor in my SuperC had been stuck, and that they pulled it and popped the clutch to free it up. They shattered three of the four oil rings and one of the compression rings. I was gettin' covered in spattered coked oil just drivin' around on it, never mind workin'. It's the kind of chance you take and the sort of thing you can run into when you buy an unknown tractor.

Myself, I didn't mind. I half expected it anyway, and actually enjoyed the work of getting it back in good order.

One of the tips I'd consider most valuable to offer anybody is to remember to take the time as you go along to sit back, look at the job, and think about what you've done so far, what's left to be done, and how you're going to go about it. The missus may wonder why you seem to be just sittin' there, but ponderin' time is good and actually pretty productive. Never mind the therapeutic value.

Next tip is to not forget to ask for help or advice.

And my opinion of ya (which wasn't at all low to begin with) went up quite a few notches when you mentioned the manuals. The Operator's Manual is basic, but necessary. I don't know if you'll run into the same thing on the SuperA, but I couldn't find the IH Blue Ribbon Maintenance Manual for a SuperC, but the motor is so similar that the book for the As and Bs and U2 power units was plenty good for procedures, if not for specs. I'd also recommend the I&T-8, which covers procedures and specs for all the letter-series Farmalls. It covers all the same stuff as the IH manual (borrows from it quite heavily actually) but each book has just those few tidbits that the other doesn't have that it's well worth having, as well. The Parts Manual is indispensable for it's blow-ups of how things come apart and go back together. You can get one for the SuperA. You might run into some issues relying on it for parts numbers, especially since your motor's been swapped out, but it's good to have, and I can recommend some good parts guys that can help you work around particular parts that may differ on the motor. It will help, though, if you know what they're called.

I find the quality of the IH reprints from external_link. to be about the best available. They'll have the I&T-8, too, but you might want to consider getting that from this site just as a way of supporting the folks that keep our forum open. They'll be a good source for some of the parts you might need as you go along, as well.

I don't like putting up the direct link to my email on the this site (or any other) but if you want, feel free to ping me at staylor48 AT verizon dot net, with the obvious adjustments. I'll be happy to help ya where I can.

LOL! Of COURSE it's painted already! Seriously, though, I know it is kinda funny (some say dumb) to paint a tractor that has other real problems, but it's a cheap thrill even if it won't last a long time (no, I'm not sniffing the stuff- lol) and, more practically, I've recently discovered that even if the paint is sprayed over caked grease, the paint keeps the grease off your hands and makes it a lot cleaner and less frustrating to work on. So laugh if you will, boys, I'll laugh along with you and work with with cleaner hands! :D

Rad, the mad paint pusher

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back