Home owner's insurance

CCer

Everything has changed. We live in a circa 1875 house in a small village. We have a fence all around our back yard. Insurance company will NOT renew our policy, Because we've used a Potbelly wood&coal stove for years and years,(1) and it doesnt have a UL tag on it. Better quality than any new one!,
We had a exterior remodel a year ago, I told the contractor that I would use up the scraps in the stove.( Rather than paying for it to go to a landfill.) Much of it is cut and under cover,(2) They want it ALL gone!
I have 4 vintage tractors that I use to process the wood,and other things,(3) They say they must be gone! The one, my grandad bought NEW in 1941, another was my Dad's, I grew up with it.
>Winter is coming, $crap price is down. Too much to deal with in the time available. We need insurance coverage now!
Insurance brokers tell us that all the companies are doing it, the new requirements.
Anyone else have this happen to them?

dad and I pulled the woodstoves a few years ago because of the $250.00/ea per year premium. I heat with propane and he has nat gas...we got a massive discount by not insuring roof's or for flooding as well....the amount for not insuring roof's would cover materials every 5 years btw...
same goes for auto insurance that covers glass...a windshield a year equals the premium per year....

Heard of it yes I would tell them to be gone before winter!!!! Try a farm policy or country hobby farm.

How many companies have you talked to? I get good results with American Farmer's and Ranchers Insurance. Apparently your house has not needed insurance for 140 years.

I'd get another insurance broker who is willing to earn his money and find you some insurance, not just take what one or two of his underwriters say as universal gospel.

Shop your coverage. Having tractors doesn't matter, just tell them that they exist solely to service the property you reside on.

I lived in a house built in Sep of 1861 it was all stone except for a wooden addition. At one time it had 5! stoves in it. I bought a new stove which heated the whole house. Insurance adjuster came with my agent. Adjuster said it had to go. I had a little discussion with him, very nice tried to reason with him...no it had to be his way. I turned to my agent and said that your brought this Pr&%K into my house get him out of here. Told the adjuster he was fired. Told my independent agent to get me a new policy by tomorrow noon or your fired too. Had a new policy the next day....Stove was fine no problem at all. There are other companies and other agents

I put in a new whole house wood stove - Vermont Castings. I was all worried about it. My agent faxed me the requirements and they were insane. They wanted it three feet from the wall (which was fireproof), etc. Somehow it came out that I was using the original 100 year old chimney and just having it lined. He said, "You are using the existing chimney?" I told him yes. He said, "Never mind. It will be a replacement because it's not a new flue. You are good to go." No change in the policy.

You need a good agent.

As a former insurance inspector, I was agreeing with the insurance company until we got to the tractors. That I don't understand. I suspect you might not be telling the whole story.

TF, funny you say that, I have Farm Bureau, and it was a $25 one time fee when my agent came out to make sure my install was done accordingly with their recommendations. Changed wood stoves twice now.

Ross

1) TELL your agent to take a HIKE!!!!
2) Shop around!!1 Your getting jerked around by some busy body adjuster/insurance inspector.
3) Use an Independent agent not a captive one. Meaning use an agent that represents several companies not just one. HE is not tied so tight to one company that gets out of line.

I had an insurance inspector come in and rag on me about my shop. He told me I would have to do this and that for "HIM" to approve my coverage. I called my agent while the "inspector" was there. I told him I was coming in to pickup a check for the balance of my premium. I pay the full year every Dec. The inspector was soon off the place and my coverage stayed the same.

(quoted from post at 18:10:19 11/10/15) dad and I pulled the woodstoves a few years ago because of the $250.00/ea per year premium. I heat with propane and he has nat gas...we got a massive discount by not insuring roof's or for flooding as well....the amount for not insuring roof's would cover materials every 5 years btw...
same goes for auto insurance that covers glass...a windshield a year equals the premium per year....

I had Safelite come out and install 2 windshields one on a Silverado, one on a Chevy HHR. Both the same price, $188 @.

My premium is a lot more than that, even the truck, no collision on a old truck.

About the same thing around here. The adjuster told me I had to put all my equipment in a closed fence. I was on the phone soon after, and had another insurance company in a few days. A couple years later the original company wanted to give me a quote again. Sorry. There are so many insurance companies if you call around you will find one that will cover you again. Stan

Sounds to me like you have Nationwide. My farmer friend had the same kind of problems. An insurance inspector came to the farm and started making all sorts of demands. Trees too close to the house, issues with ivy on the outside of the house, issues with the antique kitchen stove, and on it went. He finally told the guy to leave and ended up getting another insurance company. Had another episode with a lady friend (widow of my former best friend). When she went to renew her homeowner's insurance, an inspector showed up. He handed her a list of items to be repaired before the policy could be renewed. There were about 14 items on the list, and only one or two had anything to do with safety or building codes. She ended up getting another insurance company. Both times it was Nationwide. Both times, they lost a long term paying customer. I wonder if they will still be in business for another 5 years.......

I like old things or I wouldn't be here.
But I bought a Jotel stove about 10 years ago and I love it! Over 70% efficient with barcode :) Have American family farm and ranch policy.

Different companies have differing requirements. If you've tried multiple companies in your state and they're all telling you the same thing, then maybe you should listen to what they're trying to tell you. No insurance inspector wants to insure a house with construction debris stored in the yard. Reading between the lines, it sounds like your place doesn't look too good from the outside.

You say you need insurance "now". Uh, why? You need insurance if you have a mortgage, but if your policy lapses your mortgage company will issue coverage. It won't be cheap, but you'll be insured. If your mortgage is paid off you aren't required to have insurance, although you need it if you can't afford to replace your house. If you don't have a mortgage and you have money in the bank to build a house, then you can let your policy lapse.

Again , we have a fence around our lot, They said "liability issues" I say, no one should be on our property. And They said that "No Tresspassing" signs wouldn't help.

I agree Nationwide is a joke, took my money for twenty years, never turned in a claim, had a dozen things wrong around the farm that they wanted fixed some were that way for twenty years, told them to leave got someone else maby I was the joke for paying them twenty years!

My insureance company that I have been with since back in the 90s refused to renew my policy because of tree limbs brushing the roof of my shop building and a sky light in my sunroom that was damaged from hail which i had repaired with vinyl and tar. They said it was all because I ask for an adjuster to look at my roof after a hail storm over a year ago. No claim was paid, finally after bickering with them and my agent they renewed but jacked up my premiums. Will be looking for a new company soon.

I have auto owners out of Michigan. On both the house and car. So far none of the others can beat the price. And I have gotten good service from them on car claims. Wood stove fee sounds normal and now many tack on a shingle roof fee depending on how old the roof is. Certain dogs cost extra too.

I had similar issues with USAA years ago asking questions just trying to get a quote from them. All sorts of questions about the old house and updates, who did them and so on. Never did get the quote and refuse to do any business with them. They are suppose to a great company for military as long as you fit the typical military "country club" lifestyle.

I currently have country companies or farm bureau as its called some places. Rates are steady and have heard good things about claim payments. All the other companies I have been with are cheap to get you signed up then within 3 years the premium nearly doubles. I don't care to play the switch game.

State Farm and pekin insurance are 2 companies I have heard from close friends that have played simialr games as you are dealing with.

Years ago they were jerking me around too. I told the agent that the wood stove stays & I would go without his insurance. A couple months later he came to me & said I guess we can insure you anyway. They like those premiums!

Almost every county in the nation has a Farm Bureau, at least in the Midwest and farm county.

Farm Bureau specalizes in rural and small town insurance coverages.

They understand tractors. They allow wood heat.

Tell the folks you are insured with to take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut!

My wife is the property inspector for the North half of Missouri for Farm Bureau. She has even approved home made stoves, but they do require an inspection first.

Now if there is something unsafe, cobbled up, junky or trashy, then that could be a problem. I go with her on lots of inspections and have danged near "seen it all"

Can't speak for your state/county, but just telling how it is here.

Good luck, Gene

I will add that the business of insurance is legalized gambling.

You don't get to play for free, and the house has the odds in its favor - otherwise there wouldn't be a house in the first place to gamble with. Profit is necessary to keep it running.

It's easy to gripe about insurance companies, but change shoes for a minute and think of it in reverse.

If you were going to make a living gambling with strangers, and have each of them pay you a thousand bucks a year, unless their houses burn down, in which case you'd give them a few hundred thousand dollars each...

Suddenly something like an old unrated wood stove might make you a little twitchy too.

The reason for UL ratings on stoves has little to do with how well they work - it's about minimizing the likelihood of them burning your house down. It at least proves the stove was tested and deemed safe.

Doesn't mean your old one isn't safe - but it also doesn't mean it is. So - they want one that is.

I feel for anybody having to deal with it, it's a pain and a big expense, but ... I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask.

I just wouldn't be too harsh on the insurance company in this case.

As for the tractors - take your anger out on the lawyers for that one. We need tort reform!

I have no idea why the tractors matter unless they are just out in the yard making it look like a junk yard.

Frankly though, I would not want to live in a home with an unapproved wood stove. The "quality" doesn't much matter, but the safety features (or lack of) would matter a lot. I would also want a certified installation and regular flue inspections. I also wouldn't want a scrap pile next to the house, regardless of the purpose, it is still a scrap pile. Scrap piles attract vermin and termites in my part of the country.

I would guess the insurance company sees the whole place as a fire hazard.

Agree with others and to shop around. I am about ready to do the same. A few years ago I was being held captive by American Family agent and that agent told me I had to keep a "farm and ranch" policy which at the time insured me for liability claims I would never use.......such as farm employees, someone entering my property and getting injured, etc. At first I bought into the story that I somehow needed that coverage, until an agent asked my how it would possibly be my fault if someone entered my property without my permission and was injured, or how a farm employee could file a claim if I never hire anyone. I now have a regular homeowner policy and it saves me quite a bit. The agent actually stated that if someone did enter the property and was injured they would help fight the claim in court if necessary. Somehow that does not make me feel all that comfortable, so I do not allow hunting or trespassing (for several reasons). I do know that if I tried to insure against every possible scenario, I could not afford the insurance, so I only insure against the most common or likely risks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back