Horror story from the past.

Anonymous-0

Howdy Case friends:
A post reply for how much oil a DC holds brought back some bad memories. Enjoy.

Years ago, I was tinkering around on my Dad's old "D." I was trying to learn all the in's and out's of the old machine. I took off the clutch inspection plate and noticed it was very dirty and greasy inside. "That ain't right" say I to myself. "With all that oil, that clutch is going to start slipping any day now." So I pull it up next to the barn, get the garden hose and proceed to wash out the inside of the clutch housing. That's when I found the drain plug on the bottom of the clutch housing. I pulled it and all this oily, nasty water came pouring out. That made me want to rinse it more, which I did. Then, a light bulb went off in my head. "Dawn dishwashing liquid" cut's grease. So I go in my mother's kitchen, get the Dawn, and dump half a bottle in the clutch housing and proceed to fill it with water. "Humm," says I. I bet if I cranked it up, that would really clean it. This I do. I start the tractor, stick the hose inside the clutch housing and fill it with with water. The foam rolls out if shades of black and grey. I do this for about ten minutes. Then I notice the motor is starting to lug. Like it's having a hard time running. I stop, shut the motor off, and wonder what is going on. I check everything out and all seems well. I crank the motor again. It has a hard time starting but finally fires to life but still lugs and starts to smoke. "Maybe it's really low on oil," I reason. I shut the motor off, pull the oil check plug and am showered with a steady stream of oily water. Gallon after gallon of brown, frothy, oily water squirts out of the hole. Oh no! What have I done?!?!?!?! I pull the drain plug and more oily, frothy water pours out. I remove the inspection plate on the side of the motor, peer inside and see that the entire inside of the motor is coated with a thick layer of brown, grey, oily crap. I remove all four inspection plates and spend the rest of the day wiping down the inside of the motor with a mountain of paper towels. I refill with new oil, run the tractor till it gets good and hot, drain that and refill. I'm just picking up the last of the mess when my Dad drives up in his pick up truck. He gets out, walks over and asks, "what cha doing?" "Oh," I reply, "I just thought I'd change the oil in the tractor." "Okay," he says, and walks in the house. Friends, believe it or not, that tractor runs to this day, and to this day, I've never ever told my Dad what happened. It wasn't until later that I learned all about a "wet clutch."

That is hillarious!! Love it! I had a secret from my dad for years too, but I decided to tell him, 20 years after the fact. He scolded me just as bad as if I had owned up to it when I was a kid. Lol, thought that at 30 years old I was safe, guess not. Sure wish he was around to scold me again.

Yeah, my brothers know about stuff like that! In a hurry, as always cleaning the free stall barn. Backing up too fast caught the curb and up one of the stall dividers. Tipped the 400 and loader on its side. Lucky no one hurt!! Somehow ran about 5 chains out the side of the barn hooked to the 800 and got it pulled upright. Dad never heard about it till 20 years later!! Course statute of limitations had run out by then!!

LOL Don't kid your self -he knew. I remember when I was 14 or so,we had a 38 chevy 1 1/2 ton we used to haul wood. Dad had worked the night shift.I was supposed to haul in a load of fire wood.The wood was on the other side of this damp guly-dad had told me t not to cross it till it had dried up and to haul wood near the area.Wanting to be a hero I went thru the gully to get wood deeper in the woods,I never made it across. Next I called the local junkyard to have him come pull me out. $25 dollars later (a good hunk of change back then I was lucky to have saved that much in cash) it was unstuck. Dad was still sleeping when I unloaded the wood and I figgured I had got away without dissapointing him.WRONG he passed acouple years after that.My mother told me he had watched out the window as the wrecker went by smiled and went back to bed.Never said a word. I had the best dad in the world - I stil mourn his passing many years later.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back