How much backlash?

I have an old backhoe that has a Funk reverser in it. Seams to have a pretty good KLUNK when changing directions. The last time I used it the forward clutches seamed to be slipping. I plan to repair it as well. The brakes don't work that good either. So I took the covers off of the trans and differential. There is about 16 thousandths play in the ring gear. I can see that the differential carrier bearings need to be adjusted as well. I can do that when I do the brakes. If I take shims out on the left side, that should give it less backlash right? Also were could I get trans cover gaskets for this tractor? It looks like a rearend of an Oliver 880 or 770. Thanks

Its not that easy. Lots more to it than backlash. One thing with a used diff. H need to keep the settings as is. And measure your back lash before tearing it apart. Plus go the pattern check. Changing backlash changes the pattern. On used gears you dont want a pattern change.

Frankly I doubt 16 thousandths is your clunk. More like a bad bearing or tooth missing on a gear,maybe a bad universal if it has one. Shot spline on a shaft maybe even. You would not feel or notice 16 thousandths.

If you change the side way adjustment then you have to change the in and out adjustment on the pinon gear. If you put spoting paint on gear and turn it over the paint should wipe off in the center of gear the full length of gear. I say leave it alone and buy a radio and turn it up. Then you won't hear it

Most likely, the clunk is from something more than the differential. 16 thousandths is not enough to cause a problem like that. More likely, look into the side gears in the differential or slop in other parts of the driveline.

Keep in mind that messing with the backlash is really not a good idea. BUT, if you insist, whatever you remove from one side should be added to the other side to maintain bearing preload.

As for the clunk I would check what 47five suggests. As a newer owner of an old tractor I went into a mild panic hearing that clunk. Over a short period of time it seemed to be happening every time the tractor moved. Advice here was to first check the lugs. They were rusted tight but I thought I could see the slightest movement as the wheels rolled. Had to cut/grind a couple off and replace but no more clunk after that.

I'd have to do some research, but I'm thinking at some point they changed the method of riveting the ring gear in those because they were loosening up. To narrow it down, is it a spur gear or helical gear transmission? If it's a spur gear, it's either a 770 or a 1958 880. They went to a helical gear transmission in the 880 in '59.

Bearing preload? So when I take a bar to the carrier, I can see that there is no preload left in the bearings, Look to be loose to me. Can see some movement. How about I just remove the same amount of shim on both sides when I do the brakes? I know that I can't test for preload but just take up the slack some.

If your carrier can wiggle side to side, you need to put in shims to get that gone. There is a spec for the preload, Just some light turning friction is likely to be OK. Put the shims in to move the ring closer to the pinion. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back