How to make and use a PHD goal post rack

This wasn't my original design, I have seen a few similar like this PHD mount.

The design is called, The PHD goal post rack.

You will need
- 3X wooden posts
- 2X 8-inch lag bolts

Modify 1X wooden post to have 8-inch flats on each side. Recall Lincoln Logs with those similar flats as a kid?
Once those flats are made, lay the beam on the ground where you want the PHD rack to be located. Keep in mind the ability to back up to this PHD rack and for space behind it for the PHD to rest.

OK, so the notch beam is where you want it. Now with a shovel or by hand post-hole-digger tool, dig where these posts are based on the beam's flat spots.
For the 8FT beams, I went down 24-inches.

Place a post in the holes, fill the hole then with crush-and-run gravel. I didn't do concrete, just in case I have to move it AGAIN. lol

Once both posts are in, take the horizontal beam across the two posts. Keep the flats down.
Drill the holes centered thru the horizontal beam and into the posts.
Take off the beam, drill even deeper into the two upright posts.

Put the lag bolts into the horizontal beam.

Test to ensure the beam fits and seats well on the two posts.

Take beam off.

Then back in the tractor with the PHD.
Center the PHD elbow bend where the beam would be.
Raise the tractor 3PT.
Place the beam under the PHD elbow and onto the two posts.
The 2 lag bolts should drop into their holes.
Lower the 3PT and rest the PHD on the beam.
Disconnect the PHD from the tractor and then drive away.

For the PTO shaft and end coupling, place atop an up-side-down 5-gallon bucket. (not shown.)

This PHD goal post rack also makes i easy to make repairs and to grease the fittings and check the gearbox oil.

1704417941313.png

1704417961515.png

1704417978509.png

Last edited:
I have a similar thing. Only I hang the digger below the crossbar with a short length of chain.Makes it real easy to hook up too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back