Hydraulic oil for 48 JD B

Anonymous-0

What kind of Hydraulic oil goes in the lift for a 1948 John Deere B? How do I know when it is full? Where do I put it in at? Thanks for your help!

Bp-trol.jpg

I'm presuming that when you say "lift" that you have a Powr-Trol unit, as opposed to a Powr-Lift. The Powr-Trol option was very much the more often selected hydraulic lift option. The book says to use the same weight and grade of engine oil that you have in the motor at the time. Some folks claim non-detergent foams less, and other use modern Hy-Tran or equivalent, but I have alweays just added oil from my oil-for-the engines-stock.

There should be a filler cap on the top rear edge capping a pipe plug (large red circle). Without an operator's manual in hand, which I recommend that you get, you can just add oil, pto engaged, clutch engaged, until the lift goes up and stops, adding oil until the lever kicks out. That's the day-on-the-farm-method. There is also a check cock on the right side small red circle) that you can open and fill until it runs out. All this is detailed in the book. As soon as you get one, you'll find all manner of information in there that will be helpful.

Frank

I have a 48 A and I use option three on Frank's list. The trans-hydraulic fluid from Deere. I have pioneer fittings on my Powr Trol connections and often connect to my hi pressure cylinders used for my modern tractor. This keeps from mixing motor oil with the fluid in the new tractor. If you adopt this practice, DO NOT connect your precious origional low pressure cylinder to the high pressure modern tractor. Don't ask me how I know. (The rebuild kit is $75 from Deere)

Mark

Thanks to Frank for the illustration.

I open the check cock on the right side of the PowerTrol. Hopefully a small amount of fluid will "drip" out.

If no fluid drips out, then I remove the filler cap on top of the PowerTrol. The filler cap has a square head on top that is about 1".

I use 30 weight oil that costs only 75 cents a quart at Dollar General. It is used only for "hydraulic" fluid and not for "motor" oil.

Pour in the oil until the check cock starts to drip. I tighten both the check cock and filler cap "finger" tight. Makes it easier to check and add fluid.

Hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back